Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

master cylinder for old Trojan loader?

Mike Van ยท 2011-09-08 06:16

I bought an old Trojan 114 a few months ago, pretty good working order. The brakes work as long as you keep fluid in the master cylinder - but as you use them, it leaks out all over the floor. Makes a mess. I never had one apart, and wonder if there's seals or o-rings that can be replaced, or is there one made that fits a lot of older 60's era machines?

Replies5
  1. #1oldseabee2011-09-09 08:51

    Minnpar is the official parts source fot Trojan loaders. Mico made a lot of master cylinders that were used by early Clark machines, probably similar to the Trojan machines. Is yours single stage or two stage master cylinder? Mico web site has a lot of diagrams of the internals. Maybe you can find a Mico dealer in your area and take yours in and get a match.

  2. #2willie592011-09-09 21:40

    Yep, those older machines had fairly simple brake systems. Many used Mico or Wagner master cylinders. If you remove the master cylinder and take it to an old home town auto parts, not Auto Zone and such, an old auto parts that's been in town for years, most of those places will likely have books that you can match up a workable master cylinder or rebuild parts.

  3. #3Mike Van2011-09-10 06:38

    Thanks for the tips - the Mico site http://www.mico.com/products/images/34_docfile.pdf has lots of info, I'd say it's a single stage cylinder. I'll be getting to it soon. I know what you mean about "old town auto parts" willie59, the newer stores aren't much help at times.

  4. #4Mike Van2011-10-28 19:10

    I finally got to this, mine matches up with the Mico 03-020-493. The only thing i've been able to find is a new replacement online for about 300.00. Does anyone know if just a seal kit is available? I can't come up with anything.

  5. #5Mike Van2011-11-21 05:29

    I was able to find a kit, genuine Mico - MICO 02-001-217 REPAIR KIT $26.88 From finditparts. Brakes are like new again. Well, almost. At least the brake fluid leaking all over the floor is gone.