Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Material Sticking in Dump Box – Use Chains?

LuckyJ ยท 2011-04-29 01:22

Hello, I have been reading some posts here about material sticking in dump boxes and noticed that people have used everything from liners to paint to chains. I was just wondering if I used chains, do the chains need to be tight and off the floor of the box slightly? Or do they rest loosely on the floor of the box and just get tack welded every so often? Thanks in advance for any advice.

Replies19
  1. #1big b2011-04-29 02:07

    dont use chains it just makes it worse i just cut some out of one of our dumps i always hated them.

  2. #2Dozerboy2011-04-29 19:29

    Bed shakers.

  3. #3lgammon2011-04-29 23:03

    this is the second time i have heard of these, what is a bed shaker and how well do they work?

  4. #4Komatsu 1502011-04-30 08:47

    Just an electric motor with an eccentric weight on the shaft. Its bolted to the frame of the dump box. Push a button and the bed shakes. Works pretty well if you do it every load for a few seconds. Also good at cracking welds on the box.

  5. #5pickles2011-05-01 14:56

    I have heard of guys misting there dump box with diesel and the material slides right out

  6. #6honest outlaw2011-05-01 18:45

    misting only works on asphalt short of spending mucho dinero on a heavy guage plastic liner u can use ruffcut oak boards one carriage bolt on each end

  7. #7Willis Bushogin2011-05-01 21:00

    Bed shakers/vibrators really dont work good on that real sticky material. The only thing I have ever found to help this was the bed linners. You can buy the material and install it yourself, if its just dirt/clay all you need is 1/4" thick. Its not that hard to install with a little instructions, you can do it in about 4-6 hrs, first time maybe all day. I think I paid like $300 for just the linner, the capping metal was extra and you can weld it or bolt it, in place. I have had guys that bolt plywood on the sides of the truck, plus the linner Good Luck

  8. #8DiamondLTruckin2011-05-01 23:47

    Diesel works really good for snow. If you're hauling around a bunch of greenies I'd say to use green / clear diesel instead of red fuel. Best thing to clean out your bed with though is a good old #2 mexican dragline.

  9. #9Dwan Hall2011-05-02 03:21

    For snow I found a paint called "Hammer rite" it is slippery enough it is hard to stand up on when wet. There are 2 types one is smooth finish and one looks like fish scales when dry. Use the one looking like fish scales when dry. Paint drying time is 15 minutes above 40 degrees and must be applied with a 3" or 4" roller. You can not brush it on or apply it with a wider roller. I have not tried spraying it because of the extra work. Takes less then 1/2 hour to do a 10 yd box. both sides and bottom. 1 application last me from first snow fall till spring when I start hauling dirt. Your box should dump clean at less then 75% full dump angle. I have been using this method for going on 20 years now and still can't find a reason to change. Paint cost between $40 and $50 a gal and 1 gal will do a 10 yard box.

  10. #10heavylift2011-05-02 14:02

    a spray that is used to coat the underside of lawn mower decks to keep grass from sticking one driver used it with is bed liner. even goopy stuff slide out.. Now he was a driver that actually got out everytime to look at the bed. Even the little bit he would scrap it out, just a shovel full I'll search for the name later.

  11. #11Dwan Hall2011-05-02 14:20

    Link to paint http://www.thepaintstore.com/Hammerite_Rust_Cap_Hammered_Enamel_Finish_Gallon_p/451001.htm

  12. #12heavylift2011-05-02 16:24

    http://www.mowersdirect.com/lawn/lawn-mower-non-stick-spray.html it may have been something like the second one, couple of cans a week

  13. #13LuckyJ2011-05-02 21:59

    Thanks for all of the input. It's definitly a sticky clay and I have heard bed liners are the way to go. Was also looking at a sprayed in liner but that was around $2800. Does the paint work well for the sticky clay or just snow?

  14. #14akroadrunner2011-05-02 22:53

    I used a graphite paint called Slip Plate a few times. Found enamel paint to work just as well for snow. For everything else I have a HUMPER DUMPER body vibrator. 8 years and no cracked welds on my Nahanni box. Works very well, except that I may sometimes have sticking material when hauling clay type material. I used to keep an extendable pole with a scraper on the end, on my truck to 'help' the topsoil loads come out. just left the box up and scraped away at the material that didn't want to come out. Sure beat lowering the box and shoveling, raising again, lower and shovel again, well you get the idea. The enamel paint won't hold up to gravel and asphalt, but it stays on around the dog house area which really helps the vibrator do it's job. If I ever buy another truck, it must have 3 things that I have on my current ride. High lift gate, full lockers, and a vibrator. I sometimes pull into a local pit that has a fire hose, and use it to clean out the box. I put a 1 inch line in at my shop, and had the plumber install a larger pressure tank with a higher pressure setting. Have a 1" hose with fire nozzle on it. Not as good as the fire hose at the pit, but better than dribbling at it with a garden hose, and actually faster getting the heavy stuff off than a pressure washer. Volume and pressure.

  15. #15CougarVibs2011-05-04 09:38

    Sticky Material Call Cougar Vibrators @ 1-800-262-2106 for as little as $781.00 you can install a DC-3200 vibrator on your dump body that will take care of your sticky material issue. It comes with a complete kit for installation

  16. #16Greg2011-05-04 09:39

    I have found that if the radius between the box floor and bulkheads are larger that material sticks a lot less than if square or tighter radius. I also use vibrator with a 120 volt motor swinging a weight which a place of steel 1.0 inch thick by 3.0 inches wide by about 36.0 inches long. Never any problems with cracks.

  17. #17akroadrunner2011-05-04 10:43

    The Humper Dumper was substantially cheaper. Been working great for 8 years. Really sucks when you are on a production job, hauling dirt out and gravel back in and your load is sticking. Just keeps building up until you have a couple of yards around the dog house. Doesn't look good to whoever is in charge of the job. Don't know about down there, but we often work around the clock up here, and it's big trouble if you are banging your gate. Got to let those tourists sleep. They have LOTS of salmon to catch. My first experience with a body vibrator was hauling snow. Two of us backed up to dump and as my box got nearly all the way up, he hit the switch to his vibrator next to me. It shook hard enough that the load in my truck let loose at the same time. I wasted no time ordering one for myself.

  18. #18CougarVibs2011-05-04 10:50

    I am glad to hear that it (humper dumper)has worked this long for you! I think you'll find that the other vibrator companies like Cougar can work with anyone's budget. A typical Cougar dump body vibrator has a life expectancy of 10+ years

  19. #19akroadrunner2011-05-04 11:10

    After using mine, and letting others see how well it works on the job, I am still surprised that not everyone has one. Some people must really be TIGHT, to prefer shoveling, wasting time, gate banging, and getting yelled at for contaminating a load over spending a few hundred bucks. HHHMMMM? But then, I've seen some of them sent home, while I stayed on the job.