Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Maverick Hammer HSP 4650

StevieV · 2025-04-27 01:37

I currently have a Maverick 4750 hammer that I picked up at an auction. It has had some rebuilding done to it, but beyond that, I don’t know much about its condition. I did add an S3 connector, welded to fit my Volvo EC150. The hammer has been sitting unused for a year or two. Toward the bottom, there appears to be a filler hole in the center, but it has no plug and has been exposed to the elements. Unfortunately, I haven’t been able to locate a manual or any detailed information on it, and I’m unsure how to properly hook it up to my Volvo. I would really appreciate any help, advice, or information anyone can offer

Replies5
  1. #1Tones2025-04-27 02:38

    If its been laid down for that long it will probably need regasing. Keeping them stood upright stops the gas leaking. Have you determined which hoses are the feed and return? The return should be plumbed to tank, they don't like back pressure. A few more pics would be some help unless someone chimes in with the knowledge you require.

  2. #292U 34062025-04-27 09:45

    As long as the breaker is charged, your machine is set to one way flow and return is sent to tank and your pressure/flow rates on the machine are set correctly you should be fine. I'm not a fan of threaded couplers on the lines. They tend to back off over time and if the return line backs off you've got potential to damage the breaker because the back pressure starts to increase. A direct connection to the machine is optimal. That said I haven't had any issues with using appropriately sized flat face couplers or the really fancy threaded and locking type couplers either.

  3. #3StevieV2026-03-31 11:03

    Does anyone know where to fill nitrogen on this. The hydraulic fluid is getting to the hoses and threw it but it’s only doing like a half a tap and then stopping we don’t it’s been laying on it side for a while so I think the nitrogen needs to be filled up but we don’t know where it is to fill up we don’t have a parts breakdown for this if anyone could help that would be appreciated.

  4. #492U 34062026-04-02 21:35

    Looks like 2 spots. The plug between the 2 hydraulic hoses is likely going to be your precharge. Needs a special tool to charge it. The big, round accumulator with the ring of socket head bolts around it is the other spot that will get nitrogen. Hex plug on top is the port, hex cap on the side gets removed and the valve screw is under that. They both have a pink paintpen line on them in your photo. Highly advise taking the side cap off first as it can inadvertently loosen the valve screw, then use an allen key to make sure the valve is closed before removing the plug on top. Usually only need to worry about this one if the return line is pulsating excessively. In all honesty, your issue sounds more like the lines may be connected backwards or the machine pressure isn't set high enough. When lines are on backwards typically the breaker will push the bit out and stop. Insufficient nitrogen charge will usually cause a breaker to hit fast and light, requiring less hydraulic pressure to operate it.

  5. #5Tones2026-04-02 21:49

    Another thing thing that should be checked is the return line and were it goes. It should return to tank, back pressure can cause this symptom.