Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

McMillen Auger

crharms ยท 2016-06-29 16:50

I just recently acquired a used McMillen post hole auger, what are some things that I should look at before I use it? I have one tooth on the auger that I know needs some attention. It's really loose and appears that maybe a roll pin or something is missing. There is a little dish/cup to the top of the tooth where it slides into the end of the auger but there is a bunch of dirt in there that I need to clean out so I can see how it is supposed to be secured in there. I know I read on one of the old forums on here that one should check/change the oil in the drive motor gearbox so I will do that as well. Anything else that I need to be skeptical of or check close before I use it? I have a cattle yard fence to replace and it will be about 100 post holes so I want to make sure it is good to go before I start. Thanks

Replies4
  1. #1DIYDAVE2016-06-29 20:51

    When you say you have 1 tooth that is loose, can you describe how it mounts? There are several types, Driller's world stocks most of them, its worth a look...

  2. #2crharms2016-06-30 10:18

    Here's a picture of the tooth that actually came out once I started knocking some of the dirt off it and then a picture of the auger end where the tooth attaches.

  3. #3DIYDAVE2016-06-30 20:23

    That is an oddball, to me, most I use are a tooth held in by a 5/8 bolt. Here is a link to drillingworld's pdf on auger tips. You might want to take some detailed pics of the head, and email them your question(s). Might be cheaper to cut off the old head, and weld on a newer style head, with modern teeth... Good luck, regardless... http://www.drillingworld.com/pdf/Fencing & Handheld Catalog/DrillingWorld Fencing Catalog.pdf On second look at your picture, it does look like a standard tooth, the oblique angle of the tooth in the picture, fooled me. You should be able to get those, ad any place that sells skid steer augers. I have quite a few, that a friend picked up, at a JD dealer parts auction. There is a little rubber strip, which plays an important part, in holding the tooth in, in some applications...

  4. #4crharms2016-07-01 09:31

    DIYDAVE -- I went to that website and see what you are talking about for a little rubber strip. That is exactly what I am missing and my teeth are starting to get worn down so now may be a good time to order and replace them all. Thanks for the info!