Here is a vid of me driving for all of you to pick apart. YouTube - Going to get the skidder
What are you doing with your leg between gears?..... lol Pj
your leg must be shot at the end of the day dude, I dont know how you drive like that lol..
Must be a International, the only thing I ever drove that got double clutched was a farm tractor.
My guess is an old White or Autocar with a big 'ole Cummins in it. Does that tranny have a splitter for high range? Most I've seen do.
Oh my a Freightliner. Double clutching works until you get the time in the saddle so don't worry about it. I hate an 8LL if you cant make that old truck move with that odd shifting tranny , Your going to be OK
'87 Freightliner with a 3406B caterpillar. 8LL Roadranger (yes that has a high and low range)
I think the 8LL is an awesome transmission, having that low/low low helps a ton.
I also have a 8LL in my Autocar and once it is in first gear I never touch the clutch pedal. I would like to put a cruise control on mind, my leg gets tired holding the gas pedal down.
DK, I thought you did fine, my guess can grind the gears in my trucks with or without a clutch...
Its not that bad if your driving one everyday,But I windup jumping from truck to truck and it takes an hr to condition my self to an 8ll after a swap. Company just has one left.
But I'll bet your old worn out arse can find a grade stick with it just as gooder than with the other trucks eh sir? bah ha ha ha ha :tong You're doing fine DK_stihl. Seat time will teach you shifting without so much clutch action. The old knees get tired with age.
if you can't find em, grind em...fuller's coming out with rubber gears next year
Yeah I dont really get to drive it every day, but Ill get like one bad shift then Im good to go, I just let the jake kick in between the low low-low shift for like a millisecond and it shifts like an automatic.
One thing I see a lot of young steering wheel pilots do is shift every gear. Just because it has 13, they will think they have to use all of them, loaded or empty. I try to minimize my shifts, and start in a higher gear when empty. Select the gear based on load, grade, road, and traffic conditions. Use the highest one that you do not need to slip the clutch to take off with. Empty in my lowbed truck, I will start off in high range, low splitter, unless on a hill. Loaded uphill may be in low under, and in between is 9 other choices. (its an 18sp) After you drive a while, you will want to shift less too.
Tiny, is it one of the old shift patterns where 3-4 & 7 - 8 are backwards, i.e. you shift in a circle. Or is it the new regular "H" pattern that all the other RR's have? I drove an old Brock that used the old pattern. It was tough to keep the brain wrapped around it some mornings...
You're doing just fine! Is that the truck with the log loader on it?
No it's the old grind em until you find a gear pattern, sometimes if the motor loads up real bad you have to keep looking for another gear. Anyway plenty of guts to post that vid, reminds me of when I started out in a RR, keep at it and before you know it you'll flick the gears without even thinking
Sure is! You have to look around the grapple when you drive it.
You bet it is,It throws me off every time.
Hit every gear.... we used to have some Binders w/ 13 speeds...70ish models.. w had one guy that would leave the yard ,, just the tractor ... all 13 gears in about a block.. mmm..mmm....mmm..mmm...mmm...mmm...mmm...mmm....mmm.....mmm....mmm...mmm..mmm..............................
when you that mastered you can try to find a ride with a pair of boxes to grind. Just wait until you get both boxes into neutral
What are you asking?
DK, I realize when you take your driving test you have to use the clutch. Now that your on your on your own leave your left foot resting or you'll wear out your clutch linkage I don't have a video of a big truck but here is one of me driving my 1968 Dodge Power Wagon with Cummins 5.9 with a 10 speed and Brownie Box. As you can see I'm not the perfect shifter either but no clutch is need. It's all in the throttle YouTube - Shift 1968 Power Wagon With 10 Speed and Brownie Box
Mike That is a really sweet set up. Seems like the brownie is a bit of overkill, with the 10 speed already, but I bet it tows really good. Have you done anything with the brakes? That seems to me the only weak link in the older rigs like that.
JD, the Brownie is for overdrive. I normally leave it in OD but shifted it for video purposes. It's got 4-wheel disk brakes with a F-350 hydro booster and steering box and now the brakes and steering work great.
Sounds like a winner Mike. Any pictures of it to share?
Y'all that float all the time, are you constantly switching the jake off?
No, you just keep on the throttle enough to keep it from coming on between gears.
Yep. If you don't come allt he way off the pedal, you can drop rpm for the next gear without waking Jake up. If you are on a hill and need to shift faster, just come on up some more and get it done faster before you lose speed. I only ever turn mine off if I'm in a residential area, or slick roads.