Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Measuring Auxilliary Hydraulic Pressure

ptrotter ยท 2014-10-13 09:18

I just picked up a used Bobcat T190 and would like to measure the pressure at the auxilliary hydraulic outlets. Can I just attach a pressure guage to a quick connect fitting and plug it in? If so, does it matter which fitting, male or female, or do I need a loop between the fittings with a tee for the guage? Obviously, I am new to these machines. Thanks for any help. Paul

Replies7
  1. #1lumberjack2014-10-13 09:34

    You can plug it in either side and activate that side for a pressure reading.

  2. #2ptrotter2014-10-13 09:37

    Great thanks. That is what I suspected, but I wanted to make sure before I tried it.

  3. #3wastednights2014-10-13 09:38

    You may want to consider checking the flow also, depending on the attachment(s) you plan on using

  4. #4ptrotter2014-10-13 10:32

    Checking flow would be interesting and I might get to that at some point but flow meters are a bit more expensive than pressure guage.

  5. #5lumberjack2014-10-13 10:53

    Check pressure at idle with warm oil. As gear pumps wear, they have more internal bypass/leakage and loose efficiency. The tighter the pump, the more pressure it can sustain at idle.

  6. #6ptrotter2014-10-13 11:03

    Thanks for the info. This is my first machine of this type and I am learning all I can.

  7. #7ptrotter2014-10-20 14:39

    I was able to measure my hydraulic pressure and it looks good. I also picked up a flow meter and measured the flow which also looks good.