Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Mechanic lessons

chidog · 2022-08-01 19:05
Replies7
  1. #11466IH2022-08-01 19:42

    Natural selection at its finest

  2. #2Tyler d4c2022-08-01 21:44

    I once bought a crane for uncut scrap price so dad went and hualed it home for me to torch so me being the 16 year old I was I was just torching lines off with out a care in the land next thing I hear is a loud pop and see the hydraulic tank lid on a flight it was a foot around cast iron bomb at that point seeming aimed for me head as I'm running triping and dodging it.

  3. #3JD955SC2022-08-01 22:01

    one of my coworkers damn near killed me with a tack truck a few years ago. He lit the burners and it wasn’t full enough and blew the lid off it landed three feet away from me.

  4. #4westerner2022-08-01 23:20

    My dumb ass got up early one winter day to find the furnace shut down. Overnight snow had covered the stack. I thought I mighta smelled propane, but my sniffer has been no good for long time. When I lifted the door and stuck my match in there, the cap on the stack lifted well enough to land in the neighbor's yard. I knew better, but not on that day....

  5. #5Muffler Bearing2022-08-02 16:25

    I once pulled a line off with pressure behind it. The oil spray covered the wall except for a clean man-shaped silhouette behind me . Glad these are stories that were here tellin' and not epitaphs

  6. #6Tyler d4c2022-08-02 17:13

    A guy at the cat shop did that with a transducer on a 773 ? Diff oil all the zip code

  7. #7OzDozer2022-08-03 05:21

    About 8-9 years ago, I helped a friend recondition the tilt cylinders on his antique (1956) Clark forklift. The old seals were mostly leather! - so we got some new ones turned up out of urethane. We honed the cylinder bores beautifully, but one ended up just a whisker smaller diameter than the other. We fitted the shaft and piston with the new seals to one, no problem. We tried the other one - but the piston and the new seals jammed a third of the way into the bore, and we couldn't move the shaft, in or out. So what to do? O.K., we've got air in the shop, put a bit of air pressure in the cylinder, tap the shaft, and it'll just pop out. But we got to around 60psi, and the shaft still wouldn't budge! Try a little more whacking with the hammer! Yep, that worked!! The shaft released alright! - and launched itself, with an almighty BANG! - out of the cylinder, and across the workshop floor! - leaving both of us just a little stunned. Just fetch two pairs of the brown corduroy trousers, will ya?? Should've been old enough, and wise enough, to know better! We went back to doing another 30-40 minutes of honing, and this time around, the shaft and piston fitted well!