Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Mechanic toolbox ? confused

PSDF350 ยท 2010-10-12 09:17

What makes a snap on or matco toolbox so much more expensive than say a comparable sears toolbox. Reason I ask is I am in need of a much better way of storing my tools I am getting sick of miss placing tools so it is time to get better toolboxes than the ones I have and been looking on gl and ebay and been to sears. And I am just blown away by the cost differances between them. Now I can understand paying a little more for snapon or matco but were talking like 3 times as much, and I just dont get what makes them so much more expensive.

Replies10
  1. #1Cat Wrench2010-10-12 10:22

    Well load each one of them up with a bunch of tools, bang the drawers open and shut for a month or two and you will know what the difference is. The Sears professional line is much better built than the Craftsman stuff. I believe Waterloo is the maker. Search Craigslist with cash in hand and you can make a great buy on a Snap-On box. Besides being good quality you can trade it in to a dealer many times for close to the same money you paid for it ( if you bought it right)when you want or need a bigger box. Also look for Waterloo boxes. Some of the differences are in the gauge of material used to fabricate the box, the welds that are applied, the roller slides on the drawers and most of all the duty cycle they are engineered to withstand. A cheap Craftsman box is great in a home garage with limited use, however industrial style professional daily heavy use is not what they are designed for but the others mentioned are.

  2. #2hvy 1ton2010-10-12 11:01

    I'm a big fan of Montezuma MFG. I have one of their portable toolboxes. They aren't quite as nice as Snap-on, but they don't cost like a snap-on.

  3. #3PSDF3502010-10-12 18:53

    Thanks guys!! Not a proffessional wrench so will never wear out a toolbox like some. But I do like quality. Anyway cat wrench I kinda figuired materials might be differant and so on but still dont see them truely being worth the left nut thier asking for some of them.

  4. #4stumpjumper832010-10-12 19:34

    another place to look in the ag dealers. I know case and I believe deere have agrements with snap on to provide a equipment branded tool line. You might be able to land a snap on box in jd green for alot less than one with snap logos.

  5. #5FSERVICE2010-10-12 19:38

    craftsman professional is a good box for the average wrench they have roller bearings on the drawers it is the box i started out with still have it at home i have graduated to a rolling box with a motor

  6. #6bill53622010-10-12 19:47

    I have Matco, it you have very many tools its well worth the money. I have had a couple cheaper boxes, and I have one from Tractor supply now and they just don't hold up if you are working out of they. On our service truck I have a Matco weather box, had two cheaper boxes on before, on more than one occasion I picked tools up from along side the road going around a corner. The slides on the draws aren't even comparable to the cheaper boxes, this is just my experiences, hope it helps. Bill

  7. #7Cat Wrench2010-10-12 19:49

    Yes they are. They were made by Waterloo at one time. If you have cash watch Craigslist closely. You can pick up a good box for .30-.50 cents on the dollar many times. I have owned many Snap-On boxes. I bought all of them when they were discounted deeply (from dealers meetings, guys going out of business and overstock at the distribution centers). I always traded them for more tools or another box and always have done well.

  8. #8QuickTrax2010-10-12 21:46

    I have a snap on roll around box that is probably 20 to 25 years old. My snap on guy told me that all of my slides will be warrantied with the new roller bearing slides. I know other boxes have warranties but these have lasted around 20 to 25 years. I agree with Cat Wrench, craigslist is a great place to buy boxes and tools. A lot of snap on products are on craigslist. Thanks, Quicktrax

  9. #9PSDF3502010-10-13 07:11

    Thanks again guys!!! I have been watching graigs list and thats where I got the sticker shock seeing used boxes going for more than new cheaper boxes. I have found this http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...0645991677&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK:MEWAX:IT anyone in the area there to take a look for me, or you can buy it yourself. This is by far the best deal I have seen, but who knows.

  10. #10koldsteele2010-10-13 07:42

    As said before Snap-on holds value.The 3 i have in the shop I could sell for more than I paid for them , granted there 20 years or older ..I like Vidmar on my service truck they offer a lot of sizes and are ball bearing slides ..