Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Mechanical Engine Shutoff Timer

JPSouth · 2022-12-03 23:32

I'm in search of one of these, but can't find any info, manufacturer or otherwise. I see some aftermarket chrome trim plates for them, but nothing more than that. I have driven Petes and KWs that had them installed, 80s/90s vintage. Anybody know whether they're made anymore, or if there's a chance that NOS can be found?

Replies26
  1. #1Truck Shop2022-12-04 07:47

    Since tier two engines-those idlers became a thing of the past, I don't know if those are still produced. Can't remember the brand name-started with a {H} I thought.

  2. #2Oxbow2022-12-04 11:35

    I had one that failed, and I tried to find a replacement several years ago with no luck. I would like to get a couple if anyone finds a source. I think they may have gone the way of King Cruise control for mechanical engines.

  3. #3Coaldust2022-12-04 18:31

    Well, I’ll be.. never seen one of those before. Kinda cool.

  4. #4DMiller2022-12-04 18:35

    Have one in this one. Not looked for a replacement as do not use them.

  5. #5pushbroom2022-12-04 18:57

    I think they were a Henke timer. I did find a source a couple years ago and installed a pair but the timer was 2'' in diameter and didn't look as good as the original. Haven't been able to find something similar since

  6. #6Truck Shop2022-12-04 20:06

    The patent more than likely ran out, there are several models made by various companies, but digital. https://www.freepatentsonline.com/3299868.html

  7. #792U 34062022-12-04 20:29

    So what does it do exactly?

  8. #8Truck Shop2022-12-04 20:46

    Automatically shut engine down after a period of idle time. https://www.freepatentsonline.com/3299868.pdf

  9. #992U 34062022-12-04 20:53

    What application would that be useful though? Sorry I can't view the link you posted so if the answer is in there I can't see it.

  10. #10Truck Shop2022-12-04 21:11

    Odd I click on it comes up. It was primarily used to idle trucks for a period of time to cool down the turbo, that was the main reason. Although when the Cummins N14 came out time was cut to a minute.

  11. #1192U 34062022-12-04 21:15

    Ok I see. I've always let the big diesels idle a few minutes anyways before shutting them down. Yeah the link just takes me to the website but the actual part showing the patent just has a broken link symbol on it.

  12. #12pushbroom2022-12-04 21:52

    All of the newer petes have the timer integrated into the dash. Scroll through the menu, select up to 15 minutes then pull the keys lock the doors and leave.

  13. #13Oxbow2022-12-04 22:18

    My pickup is that way as well. Good to see you Pushbroom!

  14. #14Truck Shop2022-12-05 01:11

    Our Freightliners do both-time out and start remote with fob-nothing but a oversized toyota.

  15. #15FWD2022-12-08 20:04

    I have a 2021 Western Star with a DD13 engine. I left it running at a high idle as it was cold out and the dog was in the truck. I came back a while later and the engine was off, but the heater motor was still running. Must be some kind of auto shut down on it too. FWD

  16. #1692U 34062022-12-08 20:15

    Its all programmed into the ECM now. Ran a 2018 Freightliner last winter and even 35 below it would shut off after 2 minutes. Did not matter if it was high idle, park brakes on or off etc. Even one time had it auto shut down while in gear, brakes released and I was just getting rolling. I'm sure that's great for the driveline when you've just gotten rolling with 65k lbs on the deck and it comes to an abrupt halt.

  17. #17Truck Shop2022-12-08 20:50

    You can have the auto/shut down deleted.

  18. #18DMiller2022-12-09 05:42

    The DD13s in the Stars I worked around had the auto shut down deleted, have since returned that to function. Trying to save what fuel the company can.

  19. #19Truck Shop2022-12-09 07:31

    The biggest issue with auto start/stop is the actual amount/percent of idle time added to service interval. Hard on starters and DPF.

  20. #2056wrench2022-12-09 08:41

    I have one of those shut-down timers on my old FLD with an N14 2000 vintage. It may have been factory installed. I used it all the time. I added the same timers to my other trucks and one NH combine. That way i didn’t have to sit in the cab while it cooled down, especially in the field during harvest. Just wheel into the field, crank the timer on and bail out and run to the next one. The last one i added one to was a 2007 W/Star. I got them from the F/L dealer. Used to be about $100cad but the price has gone up.

  21. #21cuttin edge2022-12-09 11:31

    Some of the older Peterbilts I was around had the timers, and I thought they had the same name on them as the Button you had to hold until you had oil pressure...Kysor?

  22. #2292U 34062022-12-09 13:47

    Murphy?

  23. #23stinky642022-12-10 17:29

    We had all the shut down functions deleted on the trucks at the feed mill, hydraulics for the auger functions don't work very well when the engine shuts down.

  24. #24cuttin edge2022-12-10 19:37

    He wants something for an 80's early 90s truck, no electronics. Say you hauled into a truck stop, and really needed to go in in a hurry. Turn the dial to 5 min, pull the key, lock the doors and run. Truck gets a chance to cool down. No DEF back then, so idling was not an issue. Can't remember what the max you could set it for.

  25. #25Truck Shop2022-12-10 20:20

    Most were 30 minutes, some one hour.

  26. #2656wrench2022-12-11 04:22

    Mine were 15min which were adequate most of the time unless it was for warmup in cold weather. I would use them occasionally for warmup incase i got distracted and left them running too long