Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Mechanical Gooseneck and a new way to make it easier.

Chaz Murray ยท 2011-08-28 21:30

http://youtu.be/8u_IW8g9aN0 We made a new video of how to detach a Mechanical gooseneck but with a little twist...we have a new option that makes it a little faster. The gooseneck can be taken off and put back on in less than 2 1/2 minutes without a lot of effort!

Videos in this topic

Browse the full video library

Replies30
  1. #1muzy2011-08-28 23:13

    Wow that is cool. Air activated fith wheel cool to. muzy

  2. #2Steve Frazier2011-08-28 23:34

    Interesting! The company I worked for had an old trailer that had a "Z" mechanism that unfolded, but required a winch to be mounted to the truck. This looks much simpler

  3. #3CRAFT2011-08-29 01:21

    Wow that is a lot simplier than the removable low bed necks I used to use ..... and I do like the idea of the air hitch, I would hope they did alot of testing when things are full of mud and ice too ...... the only issue I would have is the permanently mounted low bed ramps on the truck, have seen them hang up when hooking up to other types of trailers

  4. #4Exact Express2011-09-05 21:01

    Is it that easy to hook-up when your out in the mud with a D8 on?

  5. #5monster truck2011-09-06 00:25

    The procedure is pretty much the same, it just takes a little longer due to having to change your boots before getting back in the truck

  6. #6Sparkie2011-09-06 00:59

    I'll just get out and undo pins...

  7. #7monster truck2011-09-06 01:15

    I would much rather stay in the cab and let the pins undo themselves, very cool design.

  8. #8Sparkie2011-09-06 03:09

    Makes more ense for the short haul guys I guess. Whereas it'd take awhile to pay fo us

  9. #9Chaz Murray2011-09-06 14:39

    This option is not for everyone.....the trailer that was used video, that customer has the goose neck off 5-10 times a day depending on the loads so it saves the driver a bunch of time with this option. Most trailers in our fleet we do not remove the neck for most loads since we load over the back 75-80% of the time so it really depends on the use of the trailer in the end. If you are long haul then this would probably be a little over the top but for short haul local work it would be a time saver.

  10. #10Exact Express2011-09-06 22:40

    It's hard for me to believe that you could get enough traction to get back under that trailer in the mud or snow or ice. I'm not saying it can't be done,I don't have any time on that style of neck. I just know how hard it can be to get hooked up with a hydro neck in bad conditions.

  11. #11imbzcul8r2011-09-09 04:25

    I used to wonder why the beavertails on almost all the lowbeds up north in areas like Prince George or Edmonton were always bent & screwed up, they were obviously loading big iron over the back even though they had detachable necks. And then I took a load up there in the winter & tried to detach and after chaining up the truck AND trailer and fighting to get out from under the trailer & then back under I knew, almost everything goes over the back or side, regardless of size, when your fighting snow& ice.

  12. #12Chaz Murray2011-09-09 11:00

    That is basically a standard in this part of the world also, we do not take the neck off unless we have to. We purpose built the trailer with the intent of loading over the rear so if the machine will climb it and it is safe, it is going over the rear. About the only time then neck would come off would be for a paver or for some other low profile machine that just cant handle the break over angle of the rear end or that is just too squirly trying to load because of the controls of the machine may be too sensitive and or barely hanging on the trailer as it is.

  13. #13Dualie2011-09-10 02:24

    They make a system to auto eject air lines for fire trucks while they are parked in the station house. They leave them tethered to shop air until they are started and rolling out the door and they automatically spit the air line and battery charge lines off. I wounder if you could mount a system like that to the neck and get by the DOT? with a four pin connector and enough slack in the lines you wouldn't need to get out the cab until you were fully disconnected.

  14. #14prenn1984@gmail2011-09-10 12:12

    Now that would be cool!

  15. #15Mark Thompson2011-09-10 12:25

    That would be a slick setup if I was working on solid ground all the time but could not work under most conditions I have loaded with.

  16. #16Dualie2011-09-10 15:09

    Heres one of the systems i was thinking of http://www.kussmaul.com/091-28hp.html or this one http://www.kussmaul.com/091-28.html is for 140 PSI Also i seen a magnetic contactor 7 pin connector that was pretty slick. Two of the auto ejectors and a magnetic breakaway wiring harness would make The Murray professional the Bentley of lowbeds.

  17. #17prenn1984@gmail2011-09-10 15:50

    you really can't say that without trying one

  18. #18Dualie2011-09-10 16:03

    Agreed I picked up my loaded wagon in some pretty sloppy conditions. Not much snow and ice here in CA so i cant say how it will do there but my mech detach was better than any Hyd detach i ever been around. I seen one of Biggie's new heavy hauls that had pin on rear ramp sections that could be removed to trailers with deep kingpins. I even rigged up pins to turn my 5th wheel into a no tilt and not interfere with the lowbed ramps.

  19. #19Mark Thompson2011-09-10 19:18

    Well I am not an expert but know that slick clay or snow and ice would make any normal hook up a little difficult, with that rig it would be a mother of a problem. The first lowboy I ever had ran was a Hyster and that thing gave us problems new, goose neck would slide around if you were not perfictly flat. I had to hook up from a bob tail tractor like that setup shown and just reminds me of it. Also from the video it looks like the driver has to exit the tractor two times to uncouple, unless I missed something. I am not saying it is not a good thing but not my desire to have a unit like that, just personal preference and know what trailers have given me hell over the last 25 years and that looks like one to me.

  20. #20Dualie2011-09-10 19:24

    I have latched the wagon in some pretty dumb spots. But the best idea no matter what style of lowbed your running is to not drop it in dumb spots. Hard level ground is always your best idea. I have picked up a a loaded wagon that had over 38,000 Lbs on the kingpin without any problems at all. You do have to get in and out of the truck 4 times if your doing it with a truck with no air release 5th wheel. But after having run Both a Non ground bearing and a ground bearing Hyd detach i would trade my Murray mechanical for any other lowbed period.

  21. #21monster truck2011-09-10 21:51

    I have ran a truck that had long enough lines to drop the neck without disconecting them. I tended not to do it much though because it would get them covered in grease when they laid across the fithwheel.

  22. #22Chaz Murray2011-09-12 16:28

    Don't think we did not think about that! Just figured it would be cost prohibitive so just left it the way it was for the air and electrical. There is a point where you need to draw a line in saving time and cost...I think that was the line that we found

  23. #23Dualie2011-09-13 01:15

    Whats another $1500? The way i look at it is one less trip in and out of the truck is one less chance some crazy 4 wheeler has to put me 6 feet under. Or one less chance i have to bust my azz with muddy boots. is this option retrofitable to older Murray wagons or do you have to buy a new wagon designed for the feature?

  24. #24Exact Express2011-09-17 22:21

    All I'm saying is that there are times I can't get hooked to an empty trailer in my yard in the winter, because of the snow and ice. I guess everything has it place. As for getting in and out of the truck, I could get away with one trip, but I make it two. I get out, unchain, then get back in to turn on the hydro's. I like to unchain before breaking down, had guys jump in the machine and fire it up while I was still taking the chains off.

  25. #25Dualie2011-09-19 03:17

    i have never had to load in the ice so im not going to comment. Probobly why these are CA legal 16 tire wagons. I don't think i ever care to find out what works in the snow and ice either. But i do know they use the hell out of the Murray and cozad mechanical detach wagons in the Alberta oilfields and logging all winter long. Even up the winter roads in Alaska they have them

  26. #26Chaz Murray2011-10-04 11:10

    Yes it can be retrofitted to an older trailer.

  27. #27Sparkie2011-10-04 14:17

    The guy in the video got out 4 times with a air release 5th wheel... I don't know. Still just doesn't seem practical for normal use. If all you were dropping on was hard pack dirt or other hard surfaces maybe. I'd personally like to see a demonstration in the dirt. I think the angle only seems so bad because the truck is aired up and the bags aren't dumped. I feel like its really a perfect conditions only system.

  28. #28Per Eriksson2011-10-04 15:38

    Why even bother with anything else than a modern slick hydraulic setup like http://www.vmtrailer.se/swe/vmtrailer/?sida=produkter&produkt=3 or http://www.vangs.no/bilder_spesialtransport ? You can hook and unhook on bad, uneven or slick ground. If you encounter a bump or something like a RRcrossing or low clearance during transport you can adjust the height with the trailers airsuspension and the hydraulic neck.

  29. #29Dualie2011-10-05 01:42

    besides the fact they are heavy, slow, and require far more complexity and things to go wrong that the mechanical detach. Oh only about 100 more reasons.

  30. #30StanRAUUS2011-10-05 09:26

    The Air Eject HP as currently designed would be very restrictive air volume wise! Designed to keep systems charged with air during stand-by.