Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Broke my new lowboy

OExcavating ยท 2011-07-21 11:24

first it was bad weld on ramps now slats on beaver tail broke,company say too much strain while loading.i know in time back of lowboy takes alot of abuse but mine is new and already having problems .anyone had one for awhile that hasn't had any issues with ramps or tail.

Replies26
  1. #1Newman2011-10-18 18:22

    What brand trailer?

  2. #2demo2011-10-18 23:00

    yea dont that really suck.. spend all that money for a new trailer so u dont have any issues and still broke.. i have a brand new fontaine 55 ton low boy with the best of everything and of all things to break it had to be my deck lock, bad weld. it hauled less than ten loads when it happened. i fixed it myself, didnt have the time for it to sit at the dealer when i could do it in a couple hours..

  3. #3OExcavating2011-11-24 15:55

    Neville Built , I am real happy with lowboy now but would not buy from local dealer in kansas city . neville did what it took to make things better

  4. #4Newman2011-11-24 22:27

    Thats good that they took care of it. Do you have any pics?

  5. #5Tiny2011-11-26 11:41

    Which dealer ? I would like to direct folks away if they are messing customers around .

  6. #6froggy2011-12-04 23:29

    In my 20years of driving lowbeds, Murray is the only I recomend.

  7. #7tonka2011-12-05 09:17

    x 1,000,000 wish they made trailers for the east coast as well tho...

  8. #8Newman2011-12-06 14:38

    We could fill up Chaz's inbox with requests

  9. #9tonka2011-12-06 14:50

    he's working on it, so i'm told...

  10. #10froggy2011-12-08 23:54

    froggylowbed sorry i havnt replied,working24-7.the other day i saw a 16tire murray w/floating 3rd-axle it could qualify.

  11. #11Dualie2011-12-14 03:33

    I wish Chas made smaller trailers, i been looking for something to haul my forklifts around behind the pickups and im right at the weight lmits without upgrading to more PITA truck sizes and a whole norther can of worms. I had a Murray 16 tire and it was the bees knees but that work left the area FAST. so it left too. a dual tandem gooseneck built from T1 like is bigger brother would be the cats ass.

  12. #12tonka2011-12-14 09:36

    yeah that would be nice, like one of them dropbody trailers...with deck that sits on the ground when unloading

  13. #13Newman2011-12-14 12:40

    The only problem is most people don't understand that you get what you pay for. They would probably be more expensive due to the better quality craftsmanship and materials but most people just look at the over all price. I would love a 34' GN triple axle built with payload in mind like they do there big trailers.

  14. #14Dualie2011-12-14 20:18

    I had a couple of triple axles NEVER AGAIN. dual tandems only. T-1 steel and Murray quality would dominate. The only thing i have found close is brute trailers out of Kentucky or Tennessee (i forget).

  15. #15Newman2011-12-15 08:17

    Why tandem duals over triple singles? I was wanting single so I could have the deck in between the fenders so its lower to the ground.

  16. #16mitch5042011-12-16 09:32

    First, I'm just curious, what do you want to haul that is 6' wide and over 14,000 lbs or so? Now, the forum probably won't give me enough space to list all the advantages of a dual tandem, so I'll just hit the high spots. You have 8 tires hauling the load, not 6. If you have a flat, the tire beside it will let you limp a ways. W/ a single, it usually completely destroys the tire, and often the rim, before you can stop. Three axles make the trailer much more resistant to turning, so much so that if you don't have enough weight on the drive axle, in a slick spot the truck will turn, but the trailer will go straight. Sharp turns put much more stress on the trailer, since 3 axles don't pivot like 2, but instead you have to drag one sideways. Tire wear is usually much worse on a 3 axle.

  17. #17Newman2011-12-16 09:59

    Financially I'm not in the market for a new trailer right now. I currently have a 20' equipment trailer rated for 14K. I'm normally not near max weight but every once in a while I am. I haul a lot of 3/4 and 1 ton trucks. Going deck over puts the trailer to high to get cars or 2wd trucks on. My current trailer works great but I want something longer so I can haul 2 smaller vehicles(I have a early bronco and my brother has a CJ3A) and I don't really want to have 2 trailers.

  18. #18Newman2011-12-16 10:12

    The more I think about it the better tandem duals sounds. I always end up helping my friends move and I do a lot of city driving with tight turns so I would be wearing out tired like crazy. I wonder how hard it would be to have a air ride setup so I could dump the bags and lower the trailer if I had to haul something low to the ground..

  19. #19OmniEquipped2011-12-16 10:28

    Another member posted a picture of a dual wheel tri-axle goose neck in this post: I haul everything from dozers to road graders on a goose neck behind a pickup, so I thought that tri-axle was interesting, but the obvious drawback is probably sharp turns. I'm constantly having to jockey into tight places.

  20. #20Newman2011-12-16 11:25

    I wonder if I could run tandem 9-10K axles with 17.5s.

  21. #21froggy2011-12-16 21:36

    I ,v also pulled most Ladoll trailers, they make a nice 1-axle that may work on a gooseneck.

  22. #22Dualie2011-12-18 20:21

    even with all the above reasons to not run a triple axle singles. my biggest gripe against them is if you pull in and out of a lot of fields or steep driveways loaded you will break axles. you take the load that was being supported by three axles and now you shuffle it all onto one axle. basically putting 20K+ onto a 7K axle.

  23. #23mitch5042011-12-18 21:58

    Gee Dualie, I knew I'd forget one. I've broken springs that way on hard edged holes in a dirt road.

  24. #24froggy2011-12-19 21:50

    From my experience you only break axle's when your overload'd, I-v seen guys haul the load to far back. I-v learn'd to haul forward, heavier loads should alway's max the drive-wheels first. But it helps to have 20or22k-steer heavy haul truck.

  25. #25Newman2011-12-19 22:00

    ummmmmm I have a F250 with TTB... I'm afraid to step on the front bumper

  26. #26froggy2011-12-19 22:40

    ooops i gues i-m in a differnt level loads?