Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Mechanical SHuttle problems

PAwrestling#1 ยท 2014-09-17 14:04

I need some help on mechanical shuttle reoccuring issue. The hoe keeps jumping out of forward into neuatral the minute i leave out the clutch or if i am able to keep it in forward the minute I give the hoe some throttle and leave off it pops out of forward. Stays in reverse always but forward has issues. Any help would be awesome.

Replies5
  1. #1PAwrestling#12014-09-18 09:50

    Sorry.. 1977 580C

  2. #2melben2014-09-18 10:03

    PA, The C uses a mechanical shuttle much like older hoes but removable from underneath like the power shuttle without removing anything. Just take the drive shaft down remove the linkage and the capscrews that fasten it to the bell housing. If the linkage is moving full stroke and you can feel a definate pop in to detent, I suspect the input shaft and synchro assembly has wear. Its not a bad job to put it on the bench. Don't cut corners in there, replace what appears at all worn , once a gear starts slipping out it forms wear patterns that will make it hard to keep in if all is not replaced. Shoot us some pictures when you get it opened up. Mel

  3. #3PAwrestling#12014-09-18 12:17

    Could the clutch make this happen if not adjusted right?

  4. #4PAwrestling#12014-09-18 12:28

    Also if had issues with this before long ago the fork has a set screw that kept working loose and fell out. The threads in fork was shot so i drilled it out bigger and put 1/2"-20 threads and ground a point on a 1/2-20 set screw. almost seems like i cant get the linkages adjusted right from the fwd/rev lever and the one coming out of back of shuttle. Also both ball ends of the lever linkage are wore out pretty much. they flop around quite a bit. But when I throw the lever up into fwd at the top of the stroke its kinda spongy like its hitting its end and bouncing back where when I put it in rev. it feels normal like it hitting it home and locking in. Definately a totally different feel at the top of the 2 positions. I had a heck of a time getting that shuttle back in the machine the last time I had it out i dread the thoughts of that.. haha.

  5. #5melben2014-09-18 15:19

    I don't see how if it ok in reverse. Just check for proper shifter travel and if you can feel the detents snap in. If thee clutch don't grind and grips good I would not suspect that