Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Medium Duty Dump Body PRICE?

wilddanz71 ยท 2008-12-31 07:34

I am looking at a Sterling 7500 cab and chassis, to have a new 10 dump body istaled on. with electric tarp and air gate. What is the average price for an average new body istaled? thanks DAN http://www.appletruckandtrailer.com/used_55.htm

Replies18
  1. #1KSSS2008-12-31 10:55

    I bet you will be around 12-14K. I would assume you will need a PTO unless the truck already has one. I would also get a buck plate on the back for a hitch and run air to the back if you ever plan on pulling an air brake trailer. It all adds up fast. The tarp will be 1200 dollars itself. I would look around and get a good quality bed. I think Crysteel is one of the best. Just as an aside. I have been down this road myself. I put 16' contractor body on a IH truck. Price then (mid-90's) was 10K for everything. My IH truck was a 33K GVW single axle. Good thing that it was. I could just haul legal with 6 yards of crushed gravel. If you have GVW of any less than 33K your really limiting yourself. I would reconsider the single axle. I have had both the single, the tandem and the tri and the operating costs are not much different, but the capacity certainly is. Thats a big deal when you will be able to haul twice as much material with every truck load with a tandem verse a single. The singles are a little more easy to get around with, unless that is the principle reason behind the truck, I would spend the money on a tandem. Good luck.

  2. #2wilddanz712008-12-31 11:21

    Yes the truck has PTO already, so will that save me alot of money? I was hoping that I could get a dump installed for under 10k? And yes I understand that my payload will be limeted. but I do work on alot of small lots on lakes and such, so I thought it would be ideal. I am not realy woried about running around overweight, because I live and work in a small town, not many DOt around. Am I realy wasting my money with this size truck? I dont have a CDL, and was trying to avoid geting one, so this is my main reason for a truck this size. What do you think about the truck? it has 140K, a 210 cat, 6speed, air brakes, and is flawless for an 03 for about $18K just cab and chassis? thanks DAN

  3. #3PSDF3502008-12-31 11:37

    You should be able to find one with dump for same price or cheaper. Alittle more but all set to go, and less then if you have to put body on. http://www.truckpaper.com/listings/...4&dlr=1&guid=6C7FB2678CE94BC892C586C83A5A413F

  4. #4KSSS2008-12-31 13:36

    The truck seems decent enough, although Sterling trucks are no longer being made. That might make resale an issue later on, Freightliner pulled the plug earlier this year. A 26K GVW in a dump truck has almost no capacity to haul material. A full load of gravel/dirt on this truck will put you way over. Realizing that DOT may not be a factor for you, safety and the fact that the truck will be carrying much more than designed to will shorten its life and result in higher maintainance costs. If DOT should find you and your loaded, you will certainly need to get your checkbook out. Its much easier in the long run to get your CDL, its not a big deal. I would not let the CDL stand in the way of getting the right truck for your operation. I kept my single axle around for about 10 years after I built it. I just sold it last year, although I had not used it much in the last 5 years. It was valuable for certain jobs. The contractor body with a double acting tailgate (dumped like gravel truck or like a pickup tail gate) allowed me to haul stumps and other odd sized material better than my gravel boxed tandem which tend to get hung up dumping stumps. I bought a demo bodied triaxle with a high lift endgate and sold my other gravel box truck as well. No one knows your operation like you do and if a single axle is best for you then get one, but I would research it before pulling the trigger. From my own experience, I would have been better off to get a tandem right away. By the time I factored in depreciation on the single and all the larger trucks I hired because the jobs were beyond 6 yards at a time, it really cost me money. As it was I ended up buying a tandem later anyway. I would ask yourself what truck you would buy if the CDL license wasn't an issue. Also consider GVW, even if you go with a single, I would at least get one that is heavy enough to legally haul a full load of material, not to mention be able to tow a piece of equipment. If you end up back with a light single axle, at least you made an informed decision. I wish I done that. With the Sterling you will be around 30K by the time your out the door. Check Truck Trader.com and see what 30K will buy you. I bought a 1999, 613 MACK with a drop axle and demo body with 300K miles for 38K. There are some really good deals out there right now. You will be hard pressed to get your money back out of that truck. Something to think about.

  5. #5nedly052009-01-01 09:39

    When we got our 5500 GMC we had the GVW bumped to 26000 by adding the necessarry springs. The truck is legal with 7.5 tons, I cant remember the weights and such. The truck handles it fine, and with 4X4 it can take a load into some bad places. That might be something to look into if you can find a decent used one.

  6. #6wilddanz712009-01-01 09:50

    Thanks for the link, I have bought equipment from those guys before. I might go look at that truck on FRI. I called them and they said that the odometer read 70k, but that it had just stoped working? that wories me, can something be pluged into the ECU that will tell me the acual miles? It also said that it has a 215hp IH diesel, would that mean it is an international engine, hopefully a dt466? the only thing that I dont like is A/T tranny. thanks for any help

  7. #7wilddanz712009-01-01 09:53

    I did not know that was an option, I might look into something like that. I would love to have 4x4. So you are saying that you can put 15K worth of payload in your truck? that sounds pretty good, thanks

  8. #8PSDF3502009-01-01 17:49

    Same motor as the ford 6.0 but without fords input.

  9. #9Deere450c2009-01-01 20:07

    I own an IH 2554 single axle dumptruck and it has a GVW of 35,500 but nowhere that I know of can you exceed 32,500 GVW. The front axle is only rated at 12,500 lbs and no matter that the back is rated at 23,000 you are limited to 20,000. I do believe the 20K per axle is a national rule and of course there are roads that restrict axle loadings to a lower limit. The truck sitting empty, full of fuel and me in it weights right about 16,000 lbs. While it is great to have a heavy built truck you are paying for it in a lower payload limit. One of places I go to pick up rock they have an older lighter built GMC dumptruck but it has a GVW of 28K and empty is just under 10K. That gives them a payload of 9 tons which is about one ton more than I can haul legally. Of course mine sitting at 32,000+ on the scale doesn't hardly look loaded where theirs at 28,000 is looking pretty bottomed out. You really have to look at what your needs are. Seems outfits are either one way or the other mainly due to the type of work they cater too. I did price a new Galion body several years ago and then a cash and carry price was about 11,000 bucks. Galion was bought out by another body builder so it will have to be seen if they continue to build as heavy built a body as the old Galion's. tim

  10. #10wilddanz712009-01-01 20:34

    Is this a common motor in the f650's? Most I have seen have a 210hp CAT What is the displacement of the 6.0L international? and is it a good motor, I may realy consider this truck, as long as I can make a good deal!!

  11. #11CM19952009-01-02 09:44

    I believe the 7.3PS is 444 CI and the 6.0 PS is 365 CI. I have 2 6.0's in pickups and that engine would be gutless for a medium duty truck, IMHO.

  12. #12Steve Frazier2009-01-02 11:44

    I would tend to agree with you CM1995, but my buddy has an IH 4100 (I think that's the series #) with the 365 in it with an Allison and what a surprise! I used it on a job when my 550 was down and hauled 20 tons of item 4 up a very steep hill at a decent clip, I was expecting to be able to jump out and jog along side. That truck is very peppy and a pleasure to drive which really surprised me. He's had it for sale and if it had a 33,000GVW I'd buy it. I doubt it would last as long as a 466, but I don't put that many miles on a dump. Your nomenclature on the two engines is correct.

  13. #13jmz2009-01-02 21:53

    about 3 years ago we paid around 13k for our body, 14' fold down doors on the side, air gate, this included PTO air lines to the rear wiring for the trailer etc. and shortening the chassis.

  14. #14wilddanz712009-01-03 16:15

    I went today and looked at this 05 f650. It was a very nice truck. And I confirmed that it has a IH 6.0L V8 engine, with a allison auto. I love the truck, But I am worried about the engine/tranny combo not having enough power. Is this something to worry about? Are these engines durable? The seller says that they have an 03 F650 coming in next week, it has only 27K miles 6cyl cummins and a 6speed. this is more like what I think I should buy, http://www.truckpaper.com/listings/...4&dlr=1&guid=6C7FB2678CE94BC892C586C83A5A413F

  15. #15jmz2009-01-04 07:18

    we've got an 05 f750 with a C-6 engine and auto allison as well, its got plenty of power, the only reason I wish we would have gone manual is for the adding stopping power of downshifting.

  16. #16rino2009-01-05 02:55

    No CDL? My friend: If I'm not mistaken, any GVW that has air brakes requires a CDL! One of our stupidvisors got caught driving a single pulling a skid steer. It was an older IH single axle with air brakes! The trailer was a 20 ton p hook ramp trailer! Our dude got a ticket for no CDL, and there was hell to pay in the office later! Our company had b drivers driving semis hauling equipment! And they wonder why the driver are not contient!

  17. #17CM19952009-01-05 09:27

    This comes up from time to time again on the forums. As far as the Federal Rules go, the CDL requirements are set by the weight limits of the truck. 26K CDL Class B, pulling any trailer commercially over 10K GVW requires a class A. If you are driving a truck over 26,001 GVW that has air brakes you will need a class B (for the weight) with air brake endorsement. If the truck is under 26K GVW and has air brakes, you do not need to have a CDL. At the time the Federal Rules were written I guess there were more 28K-33K trucks with juice brakes running around and few <26K GVW trucks with air brakes.:beatsme Now those are the Federal Rules, each state can make their requirements tougher. Check your specific state rules. For example: I got my Class A CDL in a single axle 25.5K GVW with air brakes pulling a tandem axle 14K GVW electric brake trailer. Those were the rules in '07 for Alabama. The truck trailer combo met the Federal rules - Air brakes on the truck for that endorsement, pulling a trailer over 10K GVW for Class A. Drop the trailer from the same truck and anyone can drive.

  18. #18Orchard Ex2009-01-05 09:39

    It wasn't the air brakes that was the problem! It was the 20 ton trailer! Anything over 5 ton and combo over 26,000 needs a Class A CDL! (Whats all the excitement about!?! )