Hi Years ago I had a 1984 F700 truck with a 14' dump bed ... My memory on that was that it had a horrible turning radius. Later I started driving a 1990s box truck and if memory serves correct that seemed to turn a lot tighter than the F700. I often drove or used to drive a GMC tough kick around the same era and I can't really remember that much about the turning radius of it but that was a 26 foot box truck so I'm sure that affected it somewhat also. Anyways I'm looking for a maneuverable truck with about a 14 ft dump bed on it and a lot of people here seem to think the L9000 or L8000 trucks turn very tight.... Short of going to a cabover style truck (which I really don't want because of the whole accident thing .... Not having a hood and huge block of steel in front of you) what truck has the best and sharpest turning ability in the 26k to 33k GVWR? Thanks
Our 2011 f750 turns tight but it only has a 10 foot bed. In its pervious life it had a 22 foot flat bed and was a land boat. We got the truck from the company i day job for. Ive been its caregiver since new. Any ways the steering stop bolts may need a adjustment on any truck jist mike sure tires wont hit anything
What he said on adjusting steering stops.
I had an Izusu NPR cabover with a 12' bed and could pull a U turn in a 2 lane hiway.... And yes, your kneecaps arrive first, so I made a new front bumper from 8" Channel with 1/4" tread plate on top (to stand on the clean the winders) But that doesn't really help the OP.
Just don't screw the steering stops in too far then have to back them off, because in order to o that the poppet valves in steering box will need to be reset. Other wise it still puts power at end of pitman arm stroke.
I have/have had 1975 C60, 1980 F600, 1988 F700 and 2000 IH4700. All in my estimation had about the same turning angle on the front wheels, wheelbase was the only determining factor for turning radius. Regardless, they all turn much sharper than a pickup of the same wheelbase.
Steer axle width and position of steering box will determine radius along with design of pitman arm & draglink. The perfect example is the beloved Kenworth A models of 1982 down along with Pete's of that era. The Rockwell FA931 was used on all of those model years going quite a ways back. Starting in late production of 1982 the W900 B model came with the FA961. The 961 model is 3.25" wider axle from center of king pin to king pin. Way more pivot. Then offset pitman arms plus a slight dogleg in draglink with steering box moved to front frame horn increased radius substantially. The one huge downfall of the W900A was it's extremely lousy turning radius even in shorter wheel bases.