Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Medium duty with extended/crew cab?

oifla ยท 2022-12-21 23:58

Hello all, I'm shopping for a medium duty flatbed and needing to stick with something that has room behind the driver's seat and/or more than three seats. I sometimes have to pick the kids up from school and need the extra space. It seems like 99.9% of medium duties are day cabs with room for nothing at all. I'm partial to older Internationals but the only option there is a crew cab which starts to make things too long. I already have the flatbed, just need the right truck. Here's the list of brands / models I'm looking for: International 4000 series Freighliner FL50, FL60, even FL70 Ford F-650 Chevrolet 4500 / 5500 (though those all seem to be automatic which is a no-go) Are there any others I should look into? I'm not sure why extra / extended / slightly roomier cabs are so rare makes no sense to me. I'd rather not do a separate sleeper (never thought they looked good except on the really big rigs). If its not obvious from the list, I don't have a ton of money for this purchase (prob $15K) so going to the dealership and ordering something off the menu is not in the cards right now. Thanks! O.

Replies3
  1. #1cfherrman2022-12-22 07:49

    How many kids you picking up?

  2. #2oifla2022-12-22 08:39

    3 and their respective equipment (instruments, backpacks, etc). I should have clarified that pick-ups are out. I don't want anything with a conventional hood and fenders. My Ford crew cab weaned me off of that notion. O.

  3. #3Zewnten2022-12-25 22:19

    Chop a mid length bus?