What do you guys who live where it's cold think about window was fluid? Here in sunny Ca they sell water-only stuff below a certain elevation but we can get methanol containing fluid above x number of thousand feet. Trouble is, it still doesn't work well if the window is cold-just freezes back over very quickly. Of course, they limit the methanol for air pollution reasons, I think. 20 years ago, I *think* I saw some window wash fluid in Bend, Or that contained Propylene Glycol. So, I made my own-put in a bunch of the methanol stuff and a bunch of the PG stuff - smeared all over the windshield and could not see. So, I had settled on a solution of mostly the methanol stuff with a few ounces of PG, it still smears a little but seems to freeze much less. Then the other day, I was at a place and saw a carton of "not for Ca sale" stuff. I looked at it closely and it did not seem to have any glycol, just maybe more methanol that is used here. It said not for sale in all of Ca and all of TX, not sure about the rest. So, do you guys have any cold climate preferences?
it does evaporate and chill your windshield faster so it fogs up on the inside even worse if you dare breath before the defrost has a chance to warm up, or freeze up. I guess good wipers that get it off fast help. The last bottle I bought, splash -35, has ethylene glycol as the last ingredient.
Not something I know anything about, but my wife swears by Rain-X de-icer washer fluid, it will wash the ice right off in the morning, and says good to like -30. I usually don't have a working washer, so...
I'm lucky if I burn through half a dozen gallons over the winter. I just buy the -35 stuff year round.
I use the Rain-X and like it. Cuts the film in rainy northwest. During our mid-20’s this last week it sprays fine but would “ice up” on cold glass the first few swipes of the wipers
The de-icer stuff has isopropyl, doesn't it? It's either that or methanol. Now I'll have to look. The issue I have up north here is they are using a crap ton more salt, so on a sunny day the road gets wet. Pass a truck, window covered in **** spray that you either have a working washer, or stop and clean your windows. At 0°F the washer nozzles are frozen with anything but the de-icer fluid. I started adding a pint of either HEET or airline antifreeze (methanol) to each gallon of purple Power. No more icing issues.
I just did some research with the MSDS available for some of these. Apparently the heavy duty -35F stuff has 35% methanol and a few % glycol. The rest of it is -30 or -25 and just has 35% methanol and no glycol. Of course here in Ca we are limited to something like 25% methanol. So I will have to go hunt up some methanol to add to bring the concentration up, but the glycol I have been adding (RV antifreeze) does seem to help a bit. But as I noted above if you put very much at all in, it will smear badly like oil on the windshield.
Airline antifreeze is methanol. At least the Gunk stuff I use. Where is Coaldust when you need him? I think he shared his recipe a while back
I’m back. For winter mix -40F, my secret blend is 50/50 Eklutna Glacier water/meth, a cup of soap and a dash of Chromantint Blue AZ 50% liquid. Guaranteed to cure what ails you. No complaints. I had no idea California regulated washer fluid mix. That’s crazy. Very interesting.
Heet yellow bottle is 100% methanol and red bottle is iso with other stuff. Or, I can hook you up with a fresh load of 1230.
There are two blends-summer/winter. Only difference is the percentage of methanol.
I learned from looking at that jug the other day, Texas too. I guess they figure it never gets cold in all of Texas.
It appears the only thing that isn't regulated in Commiefornia is govt stupidity.
No there's a minimum level required in kommieforumla
Since the only bulk methanol storage facility in Alaska was taken out of service, I’m not sure what the current price is. It’s brought up on the “wet rail” now to Whittier and I’m sure prices are much higher. I’ll ask. I’ve got 6 stainless meth totes to recertify on Tuesday.
WE use the -35 stuff with a shot of windex in each fill up,works like a hot dam .
My local auto parts store sells concentrate to make your own, so you could adjust the value if needed. FWIW they sell it in 55 gal drums for the dealerships.....
I think they passed a blanket "VOC emissions" law, and regulators have to fill in the blank spots.
Have you thought about Vodka ? or would that peel the paint ?
Drink the vodka and just stay home.
$4.68 @ gallon for neat methanol today. (neat means it’s pure 99.99%), like whisky neat. No wonder the recent price increase with washer fluid. By the time you mix, bottle, box and package it, the margin is pretty slim.