Did anybody see it last night on the Disc. channel. It may have been a re-run but some of those machines are massive?
I didnt see It recently, but I m guessin that youre talkin about the giant shovel wheel over in Germany. I try to watch all them shows
I watched part of it last night and recorded it. I think that it was from a few years back. Did you happen to catch the show on the 797b dump trucks a while back. Those are some amazing machines.
The show last night had the shovel wheel, the biggest drag line and the biggest front shovel along with massive support equipment (i.e. loaders, trucks). I think they said that the biggest drag line had a 290 ton shovel on it.
bucket wheel d6peg, is this the bucket wheel you saw, this is the day it got hungry and had a bit of C@t, I think it was a D8 but could be wrong. Should be another pic, there is a dozer caught up on the wheel.
pic see if this works, needed shrinking a bit
Yes, They said there are 5 of these machines in Germany. I was hoping they would show the footage when it ate the cat but it didnt. And you are correct that is a D8
I watched the show, or part of it last night. I kept falling asleep. But I've seen it before. The bucket wheel in Germany is huge, but there are any number of them working in America. Two are at the Port of Indiana where they load Taconite pellets onto a conveyor leading to the steel mills. I watched them work many times in the early 80's when I was employed there at the mills. Ore freighters bring the pellets into the port from mines in Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Northern Michigan. Most of the ships are now 1000 foot self-unloaders and they just pile the pellets up in a long row inside the bucket-wheel's operating range.
I got sent a power point e-mail with several photos of the bucket wheel "eating up" that CAT dozer.....pretty awesome power, really. Saw that special the other night too. I've actually stood inside the dragline bucket of the "Big Muskie" down in southern Ohio....that's pretty humbling too! One of my buddies father was a surveyor for the coal mine.
was anyone in the D8 when this happened?
I heard that he stepped off to relieve himself when it happened. There is another thread in the forums that talks about it and there is also more pix.
Here's the link to the thread with the excavator.
wow thats amazing