Well, Happy Memorial day and thanks alot to all you veterans out there !! I just got my new sprockets for my 85 kobelco 907k clc and spent the day trying to take them off with limited success. I was able to remove the grease zirk and push the tensioner back.... and I took out the 24 bolts holding the sprocket on ... but for the life of me could not bang smash or budge the sprocket. I did't heat it up as I am afraid of causing damage to the drive motors ... but I am getting :Banghead :bash Does anyone out there have any tricks ... and should I heat it ??? Thanks ... :notworthy
removing sprockets They just sit on a sholder on the drive but if they have never been changed they could be well rusted on you do have the tracks off correct? you can also put a small porta power behind the sprocket and then beat on the other side that should pop them off
Thanks for the reply !! I actually had enough slack from pulling back the tensioner to pull with my skidsteer the track forward to a point were it wasn't resting at all on the sprocket. I pounded on the back of it with a 20 pound hammer and a block of wood, for at least half an hour and it would not budge. I pounded on all sides and corners to no avail ... it must be really really frozen on there :-( ... I have no idea what to try next :-( ..
Since it's got an attitude and won't let go, your going to have to show it "oh yes you will!" First thing is get the track out of your way. Please tell me you have a cutting torch. We're going to destroy the sprocket, since your replacing it anyway. I assume your sprocket fits over the round hub and goes up against a flange with all the bolt holes in it, yes? If so, take your cutting torch, and cut through the sprocket from the backside blowing out away from the machine. A quick cut right through sprocket teeth going down toward the bolt flange. Stop when you get to the flange, maybe angle the torch head and get a little more of the sprocket metal. You can use a water hose to keep the planetary hub cool. You might have to make several of these cuts around the circumference of the sprocket. But they will, along with the heat being transferred thoughout the sprocket steel, should allow the sprocket to expand just enough to bang it off, drop it on the ground and say "now who's the boss!"
Thanks for the advice guys ... my new plan of attack is: Dig what I really need done - house foundation and drainage ~ 20 hours of work... then take a torch to the sprocket as ATCOEQUIP suggested. I just recently bought the farm, and all my tools, but have yet to buy a torch ($) .... but I grew up on a dairy farm ... and used to cut and weld everything back together ... so I am quite well versed just need to get my brother to put in the 700 or so and get a good kit. I will keep everyone updated and maybe post some pics of the projects rgds, Eric