Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Thank God for three day weekends!

Tryin' ยท 2009-05-23 17:02

Here are some pix from my first basement for Friday. The job started with random pits of water-logged sand that needed dug out. (see waterfilled holes in pic 1) In the middle of that, we "discovered" the gas line in pic 2. Then it got easy; great dirt, no sand, no gas, just merrily bailing away when I hooked a rock, uh, nope, concrete. Hmmmm. And then some more mixed with sheet metal. Uh-oh. Turned out to be a good sized trash pile chock full of water 2 1/2 feet below footing grade.:Banghead So we got that all out and filled in the footer line with compacted #2 limestone. I don't know how the footer guys are gonna drive stakes in that, but the boss is king. . . Anyway, I was glad the second job was nice and clean, but doubly glad to have a 3-day weekend! 1. Overview of job in progress 2. 2" Gas Line 3. Water flow from trash pile 4. Pump point for trash pile 5. Me in the hole 6. Stone dump 7. Climbing out 8. Done! 9. 2nd job

Replies9
  1. #1Tryin'2009-05-23 17:04

    Rest of the pics

  2. #2Tryin'2009-05-23 17:06

    And yes, I know my tracks are backwards!

  3. #3AtlasRob2009-05-23 18:37

    Now, that is up for debate If I had been operating in the hole I would have been ass backwards against the wall. I would not have spun my undercarriage in order to climb out. But I admire your :stirthepot on edit, :Banghead I was so engrossed with the sprockets I forgot to mention the job Great pics and explanation. Thanks for sharing. Its good to know that it aint just me that dont have plans go to plan all the time

  4. #4gasfield315c2009-05-23 21:19

    nice work man...looks good...down here you have to pull out dynomite or a hammer to dig a basement

  5. #5Turbo218352009-05-23 21:42

    Not bad, I worked on a house project that ran into 12 cars buried, just about at the sub grade of the footings. A year after the basement was dug, I was sent to finish grade around the project. While I was grading, I found a buried fridge, then I tracked over what I thought was a car. Company owner was driving truck that day, when he showed up with a load of topsoil I showed him the spot I thought had the car there. He said no way, we got all that crap when we started. Long story short, it was directly in the line of a ditch that I needed to cut, so I went ahead and cut it. Sure enough, out pops the roof and steer column of a 57 chevy. Owner told me to leave the rest there, so there it sits, waiting to for someone else to find in the future.

  6. #6Tryin'2009-05-23 22:16

    AtlasRob: Gotta be careful, someone may be watching but, yeah, the best laid plans. . . It wouldn't have been so frustrating if it would have been a one-hole day. . . Gotta love that overtime, though! gasfield: Thank you, I admire you rock guys; the worst we have here is the occasional boulder field. Can you say side money?:drinkup Turbo: That's insane, I've dug up one or two, but geez. . .:beatsme

  7. #7stock2009-05-24 05:10

    very nice job ,nice boulder clay and not to many rocks by the look of it in my area you either meet limestone rock ,boulders or gravel at one point to black bog in another to pencil or shale I can safely say that I could never dig a hole as neat as that the sub terrain would never allow it.:Banghead :deadhorse :jawdrop Stock

  8. #8amunderdog2009-05-24 06:04

    Great pictures. Nice work. The only thing i have seen lately that has me puzzeld is old trees in fill bank still growing. The one i just did was at ground level growing sideways about 4' then turning up like a normal tree. I work with a backhoe. I thought it looked odd. I tried to push it over like normal. No doing it was like rubber. So i dig down about 6' to find it turned and ran sideways agian. Managed to rip it apart there and get the main tree out, and what was left was below grade. So i go back again to cut grade down knowing the problem child is there. Sure enough it is a problem. Now i am down about 8' below this grade, and 18' from origianal grade. Still no root ball. no sign of the bottom. So i manage to rip it apart there and fill the hole back in. It is still down there waiting like that old car. I got it down low enough it should never bother me again. I hope.

  9. #9AtlasRob2009-05-24 17:14

    :lmao I was shifting a 3mtr ( bout 9ft) thick sand surcharge area onto a fleet of road tippers with a 36t exc, had been at it for a good few days when suddenly I rip up a bucket full of dead leaves and branches. I knew it shouldnt have been there and knew it couldnt go where the wagons were going, so side cast them and rang my foreman ( delegation, give them the problem ) He rang the big boss, expecting all kind of **it over fly tippers etc, when the boss says ................o yep! forgot all about those, but it was over a year ago when we hid them ..........:beatsme