I have a milling driveway and I drag a piece of chain link to get some of the dead weeds broke off. It's not really the best but works after 20 passes. However, I am being tasked with grooming up a 1-2 acre area of millings (parking lot). Like to get something that works a little better. We do have a 10ft speed mover but I think it will do more damage than good. I probably need something more compact anyway.
Are you just smoothing the top out or re-grading? Either way in my limited experience you will need to water and compact the millings well in order to get a durable surface. Hot, sunny days help as well. Sure others have more experience and can give better advice.
Just smoothing and getting the dead weeds out of it. The millings have been there many years so it is already firmed up. I find that you need to abrade the surface to break off dead vegetation. I guess I will have to figure this one out solo.
I put a “self-sharpening” cutting edge on my 6’ 3pt back blade. Have a gravel drive serving 4 homes. It gets wheel ruts and packs down but back blade seems to cut better. This seems to work better at loosening the material than solid cutting edge-perhaps because more weight per section of cutting edge. The grass and weeds are pulled/disturbed but still laying on the surface. Now requires fewer passes to loosen/grade. Not sure certain if for your need.
I have a panel of cross bar grating I use on my gravel drive. Pull it either with the skid steer or farm tractor to smooth the gravel and it does a good job. It is 72" wide, and about 36" deep with the lead edge "turned up" six inches so it doesn't dig, but rather rides up any mound it comes across. Panel is heavy and salvaged from an aircraft navigation tower we were taking down many years ago.
Know any farm equipment repair shops? You need a worn out feeder house chain with slats, maybe even 2 of them, side by side. Drag them around, slats down.