Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

MF50? Model? Year? Steering? Brakes?

Steve Best · 2020-12-20 19:57

I think I just bought my second MF50A but I am not sure. Here is the tag: It predates the 1969 9A63158 9A87324 serial numbers and I have no other source. What is it? Two big problems, power steering and brakes. Filled the power steering and it is churning, so the drive is connected, but steering wheel spins free. When wheels are off the ground you can flop them from side to side easily even if spinning the steering wheel furiously. Where do I start looking? Crack the pressure line from the pump to see if I have pressure? Mechanical brakes do not feel to do anything, no matter how hard I stand on them. Hydraulic brake is totally not functioning so I have another M/C on the way. Problem on my 1971 MF50A was that the slave cylinders didn't exist in the parts book so I ordered look-a-likes from Turkey. Wrong line fittings and no bleeders but I got them working. Where to get the right parts? What it looks like (don't laugh, I didn't do it!) : I am in Canada, looking forward to plowing snow if I can get steering and brakes working... Help!

Replies8
  1. #1Delmer2020-12-20 23:14

    The power steering pump is common and simple, not so sure about the steering wheel "control valve?", I suppose the first step would be a pressure/flow test on the pump to rule out the simplest thing first. Did you change the filter? The disk brakes are common to may tractors of that era, they're supposed to be dry right? but they get oil soaked and you have to pull the "trumpets" to replace the seal and brakes. If the mechanical brake does nothing, I don't think you're going to get the hydraulic to do too much better. The geometry of the linkage gives you less mechanical advantage to apply the brakes as the lining wears down, and the oil doesn't help either. Wouldn't hurt to tighten up the adjustment and see if you can get any braking from the mechanical pedal, that's all I can suggest. If I had to guess, 66 or 67 based on the patent dates.

  2. #2Steve Best2020-12-21 23:57

    Dealer tried to help but cannot ID tractor by serial #. His guess was 1967. Since so much seems to match my 1971 MF50A I ordered some parts I need (kill and throttle cables, filters) for that, we will see if they fit. Delmer, thank you for your advice, I am working on it. 40 years of wrenching and I have been lucky to avoid power steering. I'll look at it as a hydraulic system and see where it gets me. I am limited by weather too. So I have ordered a P/S pump filter. I'll crack some lines to do some pressure and flow checks too. The brakes break down into problems I guess, no mechanical function and the hydraulics are seized. I like your idea of trying adjustment, I'll do it. I think these are wet brakes so fluid could be an issue. I may pull the cab off so I can get it in the garage to work on. The hydraulic slave cylinders the dealer narrowed to 519348M91 which is $300cdn each! These look like CASE G109413 which are cheap at $40 each. I'll order the CASE M/C as well to replace the hydraulics. Still don't know what model it is. Here is what it looks like. Running gear seems identical to 1971 MF50A. It was suggested it might be a MF304, the shuttle trans version of the MF302. Motor is a 4.203. Any idea?

  3. #3Delmer2020-12-22 00:34

    Sure could be a 304, I don't know the difference. Does your 50 have the cast wheels and clamp on rims? I know some 304's didn't have that brace from under the bell housing to the bracket in front of the engine to brace the stressed engine. Double check the wet brakes, I thought they were supposed to be dry. Get a screw on air hose, don't ever add air to those front wheels while squatting near them.

  4. #4edgephoto2020-12-22 00:59

    Is it me or does that cab look extra tall?

  5. #5Dave Neubert2020-12-24 10:20

    Yea its the penthouse version

  6. #6Welder Dave2020-12-24 13:17

    9A serial numbers are the same for all ** equipment and tractors under 100 HP. Your new machine is a 1967. It's also possible it has the casting date on the bottom of the oil pan. Pretty sure it's an MF304 with a 300 loader. 50A didn't have lights in the grill. Your dealer doesn't sound too familiar with ** industrial equipment. I think the 50A came out in 1970. Antique Tractor Serial Numbers - Yesterday's Tractors

  7. #7Steve Best2020-12-30 09:10

    Yes, my dealer is too young to ever remember selling these models. I got look at a MF302 (same as a MF304 except transmission) the other day. Quite a few differences especially the dash and cowl construction and layout. My "new" tractor is almost identical to my 1971 MF50A, and I think your information about the MF50A started production about 1970, however there was a MF50 industrial tractor which started production about 1965 according to the dealer's parts books. This is not to be confused (!) with the MF50 red farm tractor that was built from 1957-64. I do believe my tractor to be a 1967 MF50 industrial. Cab is off, it is inside the garage out of the winter chill, throttle and kill have been repaired, broken gauges removed and ordered, and most of all steering has been restored. Getting ready to plow.

  8. #8Welder Dave2020-12-30 12:14

    The straight MF50 was built in the UK and not in the US. The MF50B was very popular in the UK and had several updates and variations. The UK versions wouldn't have 9A serial numbers though. I believe the 304 morphed into the 50A but the 50A never had headlights in the grill. 302 may have a different dash due to the manual shuttle lever by the steering wheel.