Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

MF50HX Front Hub Dismantling Carraro 710LP

Keithcase · 2016-06-03 14:56

Hello All, Looking for advice please on removing the crown gear and wheel carrier from the front axle of my MF50HX. Axle is a Carraro 710 LP, photos attached. The hub had seized because of a failed bearing and I'm trying to take apart to replace bearings and seals. I've tried a hub puller but the carrier refuses to move, and tho' the crown wheel is moving about 1/8” it seems to be held in by the carrier. The four hole are threaded, so maybe I should use bolts to jack the carrier out? The planetary wheels are locked solid - looks like I should drift out the retaining pins to free the pinion shafts? Would be good to hear from anybody who has been here before me. Thanks, Keith

Replies5
  1. #1lantraxco2016-06-03 15:29

    Looked at a Carraro book for a similar axle hub, yep says to use four bolts to force that out of there. The ring gear is held on with a lock ring on the backside, so to take it off the hub you have to pull the whole works out first. For the planet gears, yes drive the roll pins in, but if the gears are locked in the bearings you'll play hell getting the shafts out.

  2. #2AussieChris2016-06-03 20:07

    Hi Keith, Looks like you're getting into it now (and you're way beyond my skill level). Just curious, shouldn't that area be filled with oil? It looks awful dry like there's been no oil in there for a long time. Anyway, good luck with it and keep us all posted on progress. Chris.

  3. #3alrman2016-06-03 21:41

    The four holes I have marked in the picture should be threaded. You would normally use 4 of the carrier retaining bolts to push the carrier off the axle stub.

  4. #4Keithcase2016-06-04 02:58

    Hello Chris, Yep, was run dry for a long time. I just bought the machine from a guy who said he'd given it a full service and topped up all levels, I checked engine, diffs and main gearbox but stupidly not final drives. Major learning point! Cheers Keith

  5. #5Keithcase2016-06-04 03:00

    Thanks Alrman, was wondering what size bolts to use! Cheers, Keith