Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 580CK diff lock issues.

firetech ยท 2016-06-03 17:23

Hello been a long time since Ive been here looking for info but I have a "new to me" 70's 580CK loader backhoe. Long story short while doing a complete brake job ( new machine with zero brakes) I noticed the shaft on right side brake housing that connects to the diff lock is busted. The rest seems ok aside from the gallon of gear oil that poured out when I took the housing off. I have seen some pics of the pinion gear that extends through the brake gear shaft and attaches to the diff lock and Im wondering where I could get one or is the job too big to tackle in a backyard shop???? any help would be great. Also is it safe to say the brake shaft seals are easy to change????????????

Replies6
  1. #1onemank62016-06-04 19:29

    Fire congrads on the new old ck mine is a 1970 and most of the work you should be able to do yourself on these with some great advice from guys on here..... as far as parts call Dale he ships in the U.S. and i think he will ship outside as well his website is ebackhoeparts.com phone #765-378-3396 he is very knowledgeable with these old ones and fair priced and can get used for a lot of stuff.............hope this helps

  2. #2Juskatla2016-06-05 00:33

    Fire, Xpack is right on for the parts. I have recently received a box of parts for my CK overhaul from Dale and can say he went out of his way to take care of my needs. I will be dealing with him again. For us in Canada, USPS is more economical and Dale will do his best to get the right pricing for shipment. Using any other method will be expensive as a result of outrageous brokerage charges. You will still pay exchange, GST and PST if applicable to where you live. I now have all the seals for the transmission, brake shafts and rear axles. I didn't order the bearings until I see what they look like. If you don't have one already, get a Service Manual. The Parts breakdown are available on the CASE construction web site and help understand what fits where. Also, check that the level of the transmission and rear axle case is not too full, as that will indicate the seals between the shuttle and transmission may be passing oil. High oil levels will cause seal leaks. Dale can help you with the broken shaft. I'll be restarting my rebuild soon and will share whatever I find as I pull the shuttle and work back toward the rear of the machine.

  3. #3firetech2016-06-06 21:27

    Hey guys thanks for the replies. I will have to contact them. I do have one more question........ do I put grease on the balls in the disc pack? or do I leave them dry. Seems it would ensure smooth operation if there is lubrication. Took long time to remove the rust build up on the disc pack and the balls seemed seized or much build up. Anyways any thoughts?

  4. #4onemank62016-06-06 22:44

    Fire if i remember right i did put a light coat on them and on the ramps they ride in when i did mine ........

  5. #5Juskatla2016-06-07 00:26

    Fire. When I did my brakes many years ago, I had to replace the disc because the ramps the balls roll in were seriously worn and when the brakes were applied hard, on side locked up. I put new discs and balls on both sides but did not do any lube of any kind. I think that Xpack is right, a very light lube might help with the rust issues. What you don't want is anything that will collect dirt or scale and cause the balls to stick or as in my case, lock up. The Service Manual does not address any lubrication as part of the assembly. I am just getting back to my project and once the rebuilt engine is back on the tractor, I will be splitting ahead of the transmission and looking at everything in the torque tube. I got all the gaskets and seals for Dale for this and highly recommend that you contact him with your parts needs. Once I have the torque tube and shuttle done, the plan is to move on to the transmission, brakes and rear axle seals. I have all the parts here now and just need to make some progress. Like Xpack on his rebuild, I have a thread started some time ago and will be adding some pictures and descriptions as I go along.

  6. #6Billrog2016-06-07 11:10

    I also did the breaks on a CK but don't remember lubing just replacing and installing everything because it was warn out but it wasn't rusted.