Last winter we stripped the entire cab on my D6N, and deep cleaned. Everything except the dash out down to the steel. We welded the two holes in the front corners of the floor plate over leaving 1/8" slits for air flow. Month ago, I started it and got a face full of ****, took the entire HVAC system apart and cleaned it out. Couldn't find anywhere they can get it, so put it all back together. Week ago, started it and same thing, bunch of shreds, blowers are out of balance, and now I smell dead critters. Pulled the dash back, and pulled three victims out of the fans. *** gives? Anyone know where the holes are that we can't seem to plug? This crap is getting old. Now, I tucked 3 Mouse Repel pouches under the dash, and one inside one of the cab filters. I despise peppermint, spearmint, and pine, everything that is in these repellants, but I guess it's better than dead mouse stink.
I went to drop the sun visor in one of our Mack trucks and two dead, petrified mice dropped into my lap. Thankfully they weren't fresh, but still disgusting. I feel your disgust for the vile creatures. We keep rodent repel packs in everything as well.
I had a 6M fully enclosed and I don't remember if I ever had a rodent invasion, but being in logging biz 30 years I have had them run all around floorboards and stuff and look at me while operating many machines. Seems like mine had a decent hole where some wiring went from the left side of the seat down towards the transmission. But Ns are diff steer and Ms were fingertip so probably totally different. I like to use the sticky mats in euipment and trucks because sometimes you catch multiples in one night. Just make sure you are returning next day. Had an operator set a trap in an almost new John Deere 437e knuckleboom loader and the mouse he caught was in there 4 days shut up due to us not working for weather. I was not informed of the trap. It pretty much ruined that machine. 3 years later it still stinks so bad I can't hardly stand it.
Pulled the Bass boat in for spring prep....few minutes later I spotted a mouse head poking out of a port on the lower unit. ****! Grabbed a step ladder, set it next to the motor....grabbed Fuzzy the cat, put him on the ladder....he went "on point".....5 minutes, Fuzz had a mouse snack. Ed
Bought a 4,500 gallon Kenworth tanker from Opperman & Son in Healdsburg, ca. First time I saw it was picking it up at AML in Juneau. Got it to the terminal and heard something moving around in the headliner. Ended up tossing the headliner, floor & rear panels into the dumpster due to rodents and black mold. Opperman offered to send me replacement interior. Nice folks.
Always been explained to me, if mouse can get its nose thru a hole, the rest of the mouse will go thru. Seen screen mesh on air inlets to HVAC to closable doors on all outside openings on machines, still had rodents.
I keep two mouse traps in my Toyota Sienna minivan year round due to mice. You'd think an on the road vehicle would be sealed tighter due to carbon monoxide concerns, but nope they find their way in. I think once the first few find their way in, they leave urine behind that acts as a scent trail for future trespassers to find the way in. I've lost count of my kill count now, but I think it's up around twenty something. I feel your pain ugh...
Is there any chance that there was more than one dead mouse somewhere in the cab ? undiluted bleach in a spray bottle should eliminate the lingering odor. After it dries out soak the area where it died several times.
The house i own when i lived there i saw some evidence of a mouse . I think i set some traps and got one . I havent lived there for a couple years now and have several traps set but havent got any. I dont have any food there and that helps but i also thing they can smell a trap that has killed a mouse and stay away from it. I am going to make a note and buy some new traps to set this fall. I have heard you can wash them also. I told this story before but we built a new shop building . We never had a problem until Dad and one of his buddys was working out there and took some cookies out there to eat . I went out a day later and he had left some cookies . We had a problem after that.
Pine-Sol to get rid of the mouse smell. Wood Lock oil as a repellent to help keep them out.
Put some sticky traps in the cab
One thing I have found is that the mouse repellent bags are useless. If you put a bag of ratak next to the repellent they will empty the bag of ratak. I use the ratak in my camper as an indicator of having mice around. If the bag is untouched there are no mice. I used to have cats in the shop to control mice but the cat **** and fur was more annoying.
I won't say thats not a possibility, but it all started with the mouse in the trap that sat in the floorboard a few days while we weren't working. The foormat in that machine is rubber and there is no residue or anything. It's just like the interior absorbed the smell and won't let it go. I have a couple old vehicles that are hardly ever driven and I had a dead mouse in one of those and it only smelled about 6 months. This machine is strange because it is used most everyday and gets mud and dirt tracked in it all the time along with whatever else the operator drags in there. Pretty bad when a mouse and a knucklehead can ruin a machine that cost twice what my house cost.
I'm so stingy, I have tried to reuse sticky traps. Using a visegrip on the mouse, doesn't make it easier, it just makes a bigger mess.
Almost like you have a Hidden Dead Rodent there SD, Would go digging as Mouse odor does go away after awhile.
For repellent I use finely powdered cyanne (edit autospell) RED pepper..... they get a nose full of that sniffing around is FUNNY as HE!! Keeps then out of the machines we got in the woods to.
Thanks for all the replies, guys. Cayenne pepper??
Apparently my phone did NOT like that word....... GRRRRRRRRR!!! Yes.
Bounce dryer sheets work well to repel
Told my wife about you guys here. She said those mice are just trying to survive........you know, like us. She says we are invading their domain by building cities and highways..........so we are driving them into places they normally wouldn't be. She says they are so furry and cute. She says you guys are killing them and breaking one of the 10 commandments. She hopes all of you go to Hell for your crime against nature...................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................Nah, she didn't say any of that. I just wanted to screw with you guys LOL
I was going to say that I bet would end once one got inside the control box of one of her CNC machines and ate a bunch of wiring up.
We could tell her about your "wildlife" viewing...... Ya know big breasted bed thumper birds and that habit you have of beaver watching.......
Ya, there I was driving along in my seldom used '99 Toyota 4runner and naked baby mice start dropping out of the glove box area.....Had to stop and flick them out the door. Actual glove box long ago removed because of mouse condo. '12 Rav4 Had one stuck up in the headliner. Took out a light and made a trap fit up there.... One chewed it's way thru 4runner headliner. Had a GMC Safari van. One of the little batards ran across my ankle one day... F450 plow truck... I now have all the HVAC tubes ripped out ( like the 4runner...) It's so disgusting. People give me grief for having 5-7 vehicles... well... would you buy one that smelled like that or had "debris" shooting out the air vents and 'noises' in the fan ???
So, just sprinkle it around ?
The grain trucks I've been driving for the past three weeks---mouse houses. Clean them out and a whole new family moves in over night. * The real problem around where I'm hauling grain is the deer. Hunting does nothing, the real regulator is ford, chevy & dodge. I count as many as 20 head every morning traveling the 33 miles, and possibly two dead along side the road every day. But the mice--the hawks just circle the combine as it cuts, millions of them out there.
Abundant food and warm/dry most of the time. Plenty of man made housing for them of all types to winter in.
If Wife was not sleeping, this one would be target practice. 40’ off front porch
Yes.
Have one of those that comes around every now and then. Hope the cat knows to stay away I have a good air rifle but if not hit just right the smell will be around a long time
If you don't mind the smell of irish spring the bar soap it's a miracle worker. Cut the bar into 3 or 4 pieces and sprinkle them around mice hate that smell. I went from fighting this in everything to put them in a couple times a year and zero problems. Plus I use in the shower so I don't mind the smell.
Here we are talking about getting rid of mice and you want to shoot that hard working mouse and rat eater.
Not in my opinion, they make nests out of them. We are dealing with New England mice though. I just buy the bass with the supposedly poison pellets, they don’t help much either. I keep a recycle bin of deer corn, to feed the deer and attract all the mice.
Mice and the joys of computerized dirt moving machines. When they built the Alcan highway the only electrics on a machine then were lights.
Maine accent---the southern mice from Mississippi--Yall come back now ya hear, carpet bagger mice originally from new england
Bought an older cheaper pull camper to take to a job. Water system was broke, had a water truck and used it instead. Could not get rid of the mice. Finally demoed camper with the excavator and found the waste water tank was a mouse condominium.
I have had the exact same experience twice on my Cat 973C. They had found their way in somehow, started a job in november, needed heat. Soon as i fired up the fan full blast i got covered with mouse nest. Then as the heat started coming the stench came with it. for 2 weeks i worked through the smell of mouse nest, and dead mouse before i could rip apart the interior. I used gorilla tape on every orifice that was open. I don't want any outside air flow. Fast forward half a year, the same issue arose. Same smell. It's like alcohol, drank too much one night, now the slightest smell turns your stomach. Turns out there was a hole i missed. I now have mouse traps in my machines at all times. cocked and ready to go. My case is a little brutal because the vents go underneath the floor from the blower motors behind the seat. And a mouse got in there and melted into a puddle, where there's no access. So i filled it up with bleach water and let it sit for a while. Hours and hours of cleaning. Long story short, i had same experience, twice. I used gorilla tape on every spot they could get in. I have mouse traps set up in all my machines. No problems since taping everything up.
If you’re keeping mice out of your equipment with Gorilla Tape, kudos to you. I can’t even keep the New England mice out of my corn bin, with Gorilla Tape.
The best mouse stoppers are snakes
Our 53c has ab9ut the same story
This guy is a stone cold killer. Mr. Flick Johnson is his name. He’ll eradicate your mice. I’ll box up FJ and put him on Alaska Air Cargo Pet Connect. We can discuss lease terms, later.
When i was just out of school my brother found a half grown tom cat and brought him home. He was a great cat . Everyone loved him and he got everything he could ever want to eat but if was in any of our buildings he would hunt and eat mice. I was sitting in a chair he got a mouse brought it over by me and crunch crunch crunch he ate it then went and got another in no time and brought it over and crunch crunch. He didnt like the litter boxes every morning if he was in the house he would be by the door to go outside and do his stuff.
I was just working on a genset today outside Truckee. Mice love gensets and there are lots of them in the desert/mountains of Truckee attracted by the dry and the block heater. Anyway the customer has been stuffing any access holes with steel wool in an attempt to keep them out, and the mice have been taking the steel wool and using it to build their nests along with grass from the area. A little concerning since the biggest nest I took out was inside the main generator section and could have pulled the steel wool and grass nest into some live parts and shorted or started a fire. Steel wool burns real good.
I pulled the bass boat in one spring to get it fired up. Saw a mouse head sticking out of a water port on the lower unit......time out, flag on the play. Grabbed an old B&D workmate, set it next to the motor. Grabbed Fuzzy the shop cat, placed him on the workmate. He smelled the vermin, went on point. I sat down, opened a beer..... 3 minutes later, Fuzzy had a snack. I miss that a-hole, made it 17 years.... Ed
Nope I should have taken a picture but had a dead mouse "on" the potato harvester control box. Turns out it tried to get through a hole and only got the ribs through and died before getting hips through. Somewhere I did grab a picture of a mouse in the same position on a chisel plow frame. (Yes I had a mess inside the box of chewed wires!)
I evicted a family of mice from the blower duct on an F4L912W this week and it's not the first time for that engine; they have no trouble squeezing between the fan blades but nothing that eats them can get in. The mouse house tends to get wadded up against the TC cooler and tries to catch fire. I'd like to think that the instrument panel on that machine is well-sealed; the only varmint to get into it was the miner who thought grounding both terminals on the hourmeter and oil pressure gauge was a useful thing to do. To say nothing of the ROUS living in the belly pan of another machine up there...
Old Allis 180 I own has open holes to the Brakes, just large enough for Mice to enter, smelled the nest cook off one day so stopped and several well toasted vermin boiled out to escape, still smell it on occasion but too much trouble to take that apart. Throw rat poison baits around in the barn as can get them, they are gone in days. Was explained very little is necessary to kill and dry up a mouse, will not kill what eats the carcass. That noted the eater will not have High BP Issues for awhile!!
Cayenne may be great for gardens and such but if sprinkled in a vehicle any breeze will punish the unfortunate occupant. Think of what cayenne does to the inside of your mouth, let alone eyeballs or mucous membranes.
Or anytime I sprinkle it on food .... I get that everytime.
My .02,, mouse poison 50 feet away from what you do not want them in and put water beside the poison. The poison makes them go to water but they can not drink enough to not die. The poison should be somewhat protected from rain/water so it does not get diluted. If you put the poison inside of what you are trying to keep them out of, this is where they will die. Or like has been suggested, get a cat.
Mice in vehicles is bad but I'm thinking squirrels and snakes are worse ! Have a squirrel thinking a snowcat is his and I think a snake has died in my winter car ( '12 RAV4) It smells really, really bad even after an ozone treatment. Have the ozone generator going again tonight and I'll douse it in peppermint tomorrow.
I made a claim on my car insurance for the smell. Some lucky body shop is going to come pick it up next week. Various homemade ideas and a big ozone generator haven't touched it. I won't ever drive it again but maybe I can sell it or trade it in for enough to cover the rise in my insurance.....
You need a Febreze sponsorship. If it worked opens a whole new category for them. How to keep your old jalopies sitting in the back 40 smelling fresh.
Have you tried coffee? My father purchased a used box truck from Penske Leasing back in the early 90's. Their worst trucks were the ones leased by the fish markets on the coast. In order to make them sellable, they would cover the entire floor of the truck with ground coffee beans (store brand cheap stuff) and close up the truck for at least a week. Vacuum out the coffee that has absorbed the odors and the truck is decent without a lingering odor. Good enough to sell easily. Years ago a lived in a tornado magnet (mobile home) with an addition that was previously owned by a chain smoking couple. It was mostly shag carpet in phlem green/yellow early 70's fashion. The smoke smell was unbearable for me. We did the coffee treatment with about 3 large cans and let it sit for a couple weeks while cleaning walls, windows, etc. After vacuuming up the coffee, the tin can was livable. The only difficult part to get smelling better was the hvac system. Pure peppermint oil is available on Amazon. It does not last forever but I recharge my CabFresh rodent repellent bags with it and it really seems to help.
I have CabFresh in most everything and a 16 oz. bottle of peppermint oil. Went around today and squirted a little of the oil in all the HVAC openings of all the other vehicles and refreshed the CabFreshes and other assorted repellant packs. Put about 5 drops of the oil in the exterior air vents of my old Tundra then drove it... made my eyes water !!! Going to wait until tomorrow or Monday to decide what further to do to the reptile car. I can always cancel the claim if it seems like it's getting better ( ie drying out ). The key will be for any remaining odor to be subtle enough to trade or sell it. .... Can't have the loud peppermint smell ! Coffee sounds like a good idea. I happen to have some very old but unopened coffee....
Cab Fresh was banned in Canada for awhile. It's back now but can't be advertised as a mouse repellent. Something to do with one of the ingredients. The name was changed to Fresh Cab and is sold as an air freshener for cabs. I found some other pouches called Uncle Gus's mouse pouches. I spray or pour peppermint oil on them. I found a spray bottle of peppermint oil. It's also sold in smaller bottles for diffusers.
I have caught a lot of mice with glue traps. I put a dab of peanut butter in the center of the trap, even though they are supposedly prebaited. I learned the hard way that the trap must be screwed to a small block of wood to prevent a mouse from walking away with it. I quit using poisoned bait a long time ago. Too often they died and I couldn’t find them until they were rotting.
$3500 to replace headliner in car, shampoo interior, etc. Body shop suggests that I take the money and they will find a buyer for the car at a parts price. So I lose $2500 compared to retail but none of us have to deal with maggots or stink again from that car. Ya win some, ya lose some and some are a draw.
Grain trucks out here all smell real bad--by the end of the second week you don't notice it in 100* heat.
I've sold the dead animal car. Insurance only paid $3500 and autobody place wasn't sure they could fix it permanently. One of the kids that works there bought it for $1500 and I got the $3500 so about a $2500 loss. Insurance should have paid more as airbags in the headliner were chewed. I'm just glad it's out of my life. Still busy renewing the mint and CabFresh in all the cars and equipment.....
At least it's gone and no more aggravation coming your way, at least from that turd.
And leave their bodies at yer feet!