Hello all. I have a Michigan 125A wheel loader rear steer with a Cummins engine. Have a few issues with it and looking for some advice. Located in Manitoba and it seems like ever time it gets cold out my machine won’t move. Last winter the transmission seemed to have water in it and it froze. warmed it up drained it and put in 10W 30. Ran okay all winter but now as weather gets cold I am frozen up again. Any idea where all the water can get in? There is enough water in pan that freezes up and turns to slush so that the pick up sump can not circulate the oil and machine will not move. Any thoughts on this? Second problem is diesel leaking out of a small hole between the injector pump and the air compressor. I don’t know what this hole is for and I can’t figure out why fuel is running out of it. I will try to post a picture of this hole to see if that helps. Any help would be appreciated!
I’d check the transmission breather, or lack of, as a possible entry point for water. The fuel leak is from the weep hole for the injection pump. The shaft seal is leaking.
Awesome! Thanks for the reply. Any idea where the breather would be? I will investigate a seal kit for the pump.
or pipe it to a catch jug and use the leaked diesel for wood treating if you can afford it better that way. The trans is just the trans right? separate hydraulic tank? even so, if there was that much water, there could have been enough trapped in the transmission that didn't drain just like hydraulics you can never change all the oil practically. One way to deal with that is drain the oil, dry it, put it back, run it, repeat until it's acceptably dry. ONLY then change the oil. Basically you're using the oil as a flushing fluid to get the water out. Drying the oil involves some combination of heat, vacuum, bubbling air, filters, spraying through a nozzle and/or centrifuge. Doing that as we speak on an old loader.
Hydraulic is a separate unit. It may be that there is more water in there than we think. No issues in the summer but now that it is cold maybe it is rearing it’s ugly head. Good idea to trap that diesel. I will do that. I will try the repair process and see what come of it. Thanks for the info.