Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

michigan 175a wheel loader 4wd not working

familyman907 · 2015-02-25 21:01

Hello. I have recently purchased a michigan 175a wheel loader, and I'm having a few issues. First issue is that I have absolutely no brakes. I need to rebuild the master cylinder but I live in alaska and have been unable to find anyone with parts for these. I also need some steering parts that are worn out and sloppy. Anyone know where I can order parts for these loaders? Second problem is that I can't get it to go into 4wd. What I mean by that is that I can't get the lever to engage. It seems to be froze up inside the box at the bottom of the transmission where the rear driveshaft comes out. Any ideas? Otherwise its a great running machine. Starts right up, hydraulics are strong, and moves right along. Just want to make it safe and usable around my acreage. Thanks.

Replies18
  1. #1oldseabee2015-02-26 13:07

    Instructions in the manual say: put the machine in lo gear and move forward at a slow creeping rate, turn the steering wheel and apply pressure to the drive selection lever until it drops into engagment. That applies whether you are shifting into 4WD or 2WD. That is straight out of the operators manual. You may have to turn the steering wheel the other way to get the clutch hubs in the transmission to line up. minnpar.com has a lot of Clark parts and you can get most parts manuals downloaded from their site.

  2. #2familyman9072015-02-26 13:17

    Wow. That's very helpful information. Thank you very much. I will have to get the manual for this and get in touch with minpar. Thanks again.

  3. #3familyman9072015-02-27 00:01

    So I tried the prescribed method for getting into 4wd to no avail. I gave 2 tries for a total of probably an hour of trying. Just nothing. Absolutely no movement on the lever. Tried turning the wheel right then left, then forward and backward. All while creeping along in low low. Anyone have any more ideas. I really need the 4wd right now since we have had such warm weather and it's an ice skating rink out there. I can't hardly move without it. As I mentioned before, I'm in alaska, the new florida. I realize I ought to have chains, I just haven't found any used ones yet, and all im doing is picking thing up and moving them around right now. Thanks for any input.

  4. #4RonG2015-02-27 03:13

    Did you try jacking the front wheels up with the bucket and try to make the change while shifting from forward to reverse?Ron G

  5. #5old-iron-habit2015-02-27 09:10

    Make sure there is not ice in the transfer case. Have seen it a number of times on the older machines, especially ones that have been dormant for a while. The case vent's down tube rusts or breaks off and over time water gets in. It doesn't take much moisture to hold the gears from sliding.

  6. #6familyman9072015-02-27 11:44

    No. I haven't tried it with the front wheels up and the forward and reverse thing. I'll try that today. Thanks

  7. #7familyman9072015-02-27 11:52

    I'll look into having water in the transfer case. That could very well be the case. This machine has been sitting for many years. I'm guessing that I should pull the drain plug and see if I get fluid?

  8. #8kshansen2015-02-27 15:01

    Have you tried to disconnect the linkage at the transfer case to see if it works free to that point? Not familiar with the transfer case of this machine but is there any case that there is an oil pan on the bottom that can be removed to see what is going on inside? Seems I recall some Clark/Michigan transmissions did have stamped steel pan on the bottom just like an engine. Could be something a simple as a little rust on a shift rail from setting too long. I'd say wish I was there to help but... it's cold enough here in Central NY, has not been above freezing once in over a month with way too many sub-zero nights!

  9. #9RonG2015-02-27 15:06

    That water in the gearbox is a real possibility but pulling the plug might yield the frozen version of water if you can detect it or even remove the plug because you are correct that the petroleum would rise to the top in the stationary gear case before it froze.Old-Iron_Habit is right on the ball there,nice going.Ron G

  10. #10familyman9072015-02-27 16:37

    Yes. I did disconnect the linkage, and it moves freely. But that lever is frozen solid. No pun intended, but maybe relevant. I'm pretty sure that there isn't a pan on that transfer case, but I will check later when I get to the machine. You might rather you were here anyway. We are 33º here today and sunny. Absolutely beautiful. We've only had 2 weeks below 20ºthis winter and we haven't been below 0º for 3 winters now. Like I said, welcome to the new florida. Thanks for the help.

  11. #11old-iron-habit2015-02-27 16:52

    I think you will find a 1-1/2" drain plug on the left side right at the bottom of the transfer case. It might have a 3/4 inch sq. recess to stick a 3/4 extension in to turn it out. If you can get to it thru an inspection cover or playing monkey you can see inside a bit. If you find water in the transfer go right after the rear ends also. I have seen them break gears when the machine got moved after sitting long enough to separate the water from the gear lube.

  12. #12familyman9072015-02-27 18:33

    You were right kshanse. Therge is a stamped plate on the bottom of the t-case. I tried lifting the front wheels and shifting forward/reverse. Didnt work. I guess I'll be pulling off that inspection plate when I get the time. something is definitely frozen. There is just no movement in that lever. I also pulled the drain plug on the bottom of the case and drained out some fluid. It looked great. No evidence of water at all. Honestly, it looked better than the transmission fluid in most cars that I've drained. So at least there's no water in that. Which leaves me tearing into it when it warms up. Unfortunately I don't have a shop big enough for this monster. Thanks for all the help. You guys are great.

  13. #13kshansen2015-02-27 18:56

    If you haven't already I'd start spraying some penetrating oil on the shift shaft every chance you can and give it a tap with a hammer each time, might get lucky and free it up! If possible how about some pictures, both of the outside and if you do drop the pan the inside. I would love to see a cross section view of this so I could be sure how it works. I'm guessing the front and rear output shafts pilot one inside of the other and then there is a splined sleeve that couples them together when in four wheel drive.

  14. #14familyman9072015-02-27 23:06

    I'll try that with the oil. I'll get a picture of the outside in a bit and try to post it. Probably won't open it up yet, because I've got to do some traveling and I dont want to leave it open outside for long.

  15. #15familyman9072015-02-27 23:30

    Im not sure if this picture worked, but here is the back side if the transmission. The shaft coming out the right side of the box there with the lever going to the back is the culprit. As you can see, it seems to be plenty lubricated, but I will try the penetrating oil anyway. May get lucky.

  16. #16old-iron-habit2015-02-28 09:20

    I wonder if the shift fork got bent and is off the gear and is wedged along side the sliding gear not allowing anything to move. Looks like it would be fairly simple to remove the linkage and the plate with the shift fork on it. My guess is that there is a sliding coupler right inside that plate on the output shaft.

  17. #17oldseabee2015-02-28 11:16

    That lever on the side of the transmission output to the rear axle is supposed to slide a splined collar on the output shaft to engage the FWD, You can pull off the cover and lever and see if the lever is frozen up or the sliding collar is rusted to the shaft, there should be a sliding fork also on the collar with a guide rod that goes into the trans housing. PB blaster and tap with a brass rod, you may be able to pry against the collar but not too hard or you can break the cast housing. you will get oil when you take the cover off unless you drain the trans first.

  18. #18familyman9072015-02-28 12:58

    Good ideas. Maybe I'll try that early next week if I get the time. Thanks again.