Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Michigan 180TD Engine Advice

Michi Gan Man · 2018-11-21 02:02

Howdy all. Our Michigan wheel dozer runs a Leyland 680 engine. It’s been making engine oil for the last 12 months but only when parked up. As a temporary solution I’ve been dropping coolant after the machines intermittent work, telling myself at some point soon in the future I’ll do liners / O rings. Yesterday however, I thankfully noticed engine oil dropping out bell housing tell tale / drain (retrospectively grateful needing to open a gate had me off machine) so I’m imagining rear engine main seal is forcing my “pull engine out” hand. Are there any Leyland 680 familiars out there who might dispense sound advice to a DIY engine bloke??? Or for that matter, Clark running gear / Michigan Dozer / Loader gurus etc who could help shed light on some other issues? (HMU / steering very hard etc) I’m interested in the genuine must do’s of an engine pull down tempered with the typical need to judiciously conserve funds where possible. Appreciate your thoughts folks. Thanks S

Replies3
  1. #1Tones2018-11-21 03:02

    Stuffed fuel injectors can cause engines to "make oil". Check them out and the rear main seal may be replaced without pulling the engine down but would have to be taken out

  2. #2Michi Gan Man2018-11-21 04:17

    Thank you Tones It was definitely water mixing into the oil unfortunately while machine was sitting. My assumption was / is liner O Rings. Re buggered injectors helping make oil; guessing you meant through the addition of diesel? s you

  3. #3Tones2018-11-21 05:59

    Yep, that's correct. When injectors dribble not all the fuel is burnt, the residue ends up in the sump