Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Michigan 35A Price

UNCLETONY ยท 2010-02-15 21:23

Gentlemen, This is my first post so take it easy on me. I appreciate the wealth of knowledge on this site and say thanks first. I am wandering what a fair price for a 196x? Clark Michigan 35A Front End Loader (straight frame) would be? I am going to look at one with cab, heat, 4 cylinder diesel, hours unknown, and fair to good glass tires and paint. I think the little old loader looks sweet. I am not looking to replace my 544J but I'm thinking about having it as a collector/yard machine. I know it won't load a tandem, but I could load low profile dumps with it. I could also use it to move snow in the winter if I hide it behind all my newer equipment. I know this loader is not a $15,000 machine, but is it a $2,000 machine or a $7,000 machine? Anyone on HEF have one of this things? Anyone have any advise on what to goes bad on them? I have a feeling that parts are probably hard to come by but I could be wrong. I am a younger guy and I think this would be a badass machine but I need some wisdom from some of you guys on this. Uncle T.

Replies9
  1. #1UNCLETONY2010-02-15 22:38

    Picture of the Beast Here's a picture of the Michigan 35A.

  2. #2oldseabee2010-02-16 10:39

    I have an operators manual for that tractor. Originally came with Continental F-226, later versions had options of Ford 2701-#, Perkins 4-236, GM 353, or Waukesha. Power train is Clark C272 Convertor,Clark 2420 transmission (2 speed Forward and Reverse in hi and low range). Range shift is mechanical and tractor has to stop and go into neutral to shift ranges, the the 1st and 2nd gears are power shift hydraulic clutch packs. Pretty bullet proof power train, used in a lot of bigger Clark loaders and skidders up into early 70's. Probably biggest headache was the brake system, and wiring. Dana bought out Clark transmission division and power train parts should still be available. Also Clark was taken over by Volvo, so Volvo dealers should have some parts info.

  3. #3UNCLETONY2010-02-16 15:49

    Seabee, That was exactly what I needed to know. Volvo dealer is an hour away but that'll be fine. What about the price for the girl?

  4. #4oz22552010-02-16 16:38

    Personally, I would hate to venture a price on the machine - too old.. Check auction results or machinery trader to try and get a feel for what similar machines are going for.

  5. #5UNCLETONY2010-02-16 17:33

    There is a similar one listed on ebay for 10,000 but it does not have a cab. It also has been repainted. Auction prices were anywhere from 1000 to 10,000 on similar loader, I am assuming the difference is in the quality of the machine.

  6. #6alan627b2010-02-16 17:45

    http://www.machinerytrader.com/listingsdetail/detail.aspx?OHID=6127119 Looks similar to yours. The one you pictured looks like a pretty clean unit. Check it carefully. Big expenses include linkages and pins. Don't be afraid to get the creeper out, but don't ever trust brakes with your life! Good luck! Alan

  7. #7sultan2010-02-17 17:11

    Try running the unit if you can and observe how the engine runs, hydraulic strength, pin wear etc. If the engine starts quickly, doesn't smoke, has good tires, strong hydraulics, and good pins, its worth about $10k. If the engines a bit rough, the hydraulics need the engine revved up significantly for heavy load, and the pins and tires are somewhat worn, its worth about $6-7k. If its quite busted up, weak and smoky, don't touch it for over $3k. Don't be fooled by shiny [re]paint, but paint is good for the machine as it prevents rusting.

  8. #8UNCLETONY2010-02-18 10:53

    I was busy plowing snow the past few days and was supposed to go look at it yesterday afternoon. The guy sold it in yesterday morning for around $4,000. I let him know that if the guy doesn't show up with the money that I would still be interested. Now I have to try and find something else to get. Thanks everyone for your information. Uncle T.

  9. #9Lasse2010-04-27 15:40

    Michigan Hi ! Newbie at this forum ! I wonder were to find facts and figures about the Michigan 35 wheel loader ? Between what years were they made ? Pictures ? .