Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Michigan 35GM AWS

Ranaldo · 2025-06-09 22:31

Hello everyone I am brand new to this, I have a question about a Michigan 35GM AWS. I do not have any manuals for the machine I recently bought this machine at a local auction runs great drives great but I wanted to make sure I am keeping up on all the fluids and or replacing with fresh fluid. When looking at the converter it says it is a Clark C272 19 and there is a half worn off label on the side that would have stated what fluid to use but I can’t read it would any one be willing to give me some guidance on what I should or could use. Thank you in advance I will attach pictures for some reference

Replies17
  1. #1Tones2025-06-10 05:04

    Originally ATF type A was used. You'll have to check what the current equivalent is.

  2. #2Ranaldo2025-06-10 22:05

    Thank you very much!

  3. #3Ranaldo2025-06-20 12:16

    I have one more question as far as modern hyd fluid compatibility would the standard hyd fluid from tractor supply work. The same that is used in old tractor trans missions and

  4. #4Welder Dave2025-06-21 00:59

    Likely an AW32 or 10w hydraulic oil is what it calls for.

  5. #5nicky 68a2025-06-22 04:01

    Excuse my ignorance,but I didn’t know Michigan made tracked loaders. Would be genuinely interested to see a pic of the machine

  6. #6HarleyHappy2025-06-22 08:24

    I didn’t know either. Thought they were all wheeled loaders.

  7. #7Ranaldo2025-06-22 12:29

    It is a wheel loader maybe I may have typed incorrectly above. And thank you for the answer on the hyd fluid. I felt that would be the case but I would rather ask a potential stupid question instead of coasting myself a bunch of money in repairs.

  8. #8Tones2025-06-22 14:31

    Mitchigan 35 AWS(All Wheel Steer) is a one armed loader that required ATF type A in the transmission when they were new. Type A oil is no longer available because it was made from Whale oil hence the A for Animal.

  9. #9Simon C2025-06-22 19:20

    Those Clark 272 Torques were used a lot in skidders back in the day. Lots used 10W oil or even 30W oil in those systems. Some were using Dexron 3 transmision fluid . Depended lots on cold or hot temperature. Simon C

  10. #10nicky 68a2025-06-23 04:47

    It looks a handy little machine for sure.

  11. #11nicky 68a2025-06-23 04:48

    Still getting my head around the whale oil thing,but I can well believe it.

  12. #12STEFANO2025-06-23 08:57
  13. #13STEFANO2025-06-23 08:59

    Ciao Ranaldo, Ti invio MANUALE DI SERVIZIO per Converter C272 . Vedi tavola dell'olio. Regards - Stefano - CLARK MICHIGAN Parts -Italy

  14. #14HarleyHappy2025-06-23 09:39

    Learn something new here every day.

  15. #15Tones2025-06-23 15:00

    Was told that by a highly regarded bloke from an oil company. There are 3 bases for oil, animal, vegetable and mineral .

  16. #16Nige2025-06-23 16:15

    This link may have some useful information for you. A specific question regarding fluids for a Michigan 35GM. https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/type-a-transmission-fluid.269158/

  17. #17oldtom2025-09-12 22:48

    he said AWD ,all wheel drive