Long shot here but for the life of me I cannot find an air filter for this machine. I don’t have an official model number or serial number either but here are some pictures. Filter in the machine was the wrong one, looks like someone cut the fins and it’s about 1.5” too long. Also there’s probably supposed to be a secondary in here too…?
Here is the machine. It has a 3-53 in it, best I can tell is that it’s a 55A series two…?
Have you checked all around on the frame for any numbers stamped in it? Any numbers stamped on the air filter housing? Actually any number on any major parts? Heck maybe even a number of the engine valve cover might tell something if it is the original! So far not finding much to go by.
Did a little more looking and not sure if this will help but give it a try. go to this link for WIX Filters https://m.wixfilters.com/ Then at the bottom of that page there is a search box enter these part numbers one each time: "42522" Note this one will show many filters but scroll down till you se the air filter with just that part number. Click on that one and it should take you to a page with dimensions see if they look like it would work in your housing. "46560" This one is the inner air filter that goes with that other number. Note that these numbers do show being used on Michigan 35C with the 3-53, a 55C with a Cummins, and a 45C with a Perkins so I thought it might just missed listing what ever that machine is you have! One more note, that 42522 also has a version without fins part number 46561
Ok I will check that out thank you. After googling little today I actually realized it is a 55A series 3... that makes quite a difference. I will grab a serial number off the engine next time I am up at the machine and I think there is a tag with some patents on it I can grab too.
curses... I need the 42522 but 14" long not 16. Like I said the filter that we have and that the pictures are of is about 2" too long. I have one kind of sized out that I'll post the number of tomorrow. Had a pre and a post. Also contemplating just throwing a new airbag on there but I don't wanna open pandoras box....
The WIX site has a filter look-up using size / dimensions that actually works. That‘s got to be the most user friendly filter site out there !!
Baldwin may have a listing for it too.
Okay then check out these two numbers 42962 outer and 42963 inner The 42962 is 14.287 tall One more note if you drop the first digit (4 in this case) from a Wix number it becomes as NAPA number. A 42962 Wix is a 2962 NAPA.
A filter without fins might be better, that Detroit needs lots of CFM.
I think we're just going to get a new housing - https://www.donaldson.com/content/dam/donaldson/engine-hydraulics-bulk/catalogs/air-intake/north-america/F110027-ENG/medium-dust/Air-FRG.pdf Match the outlet diameters up and go from there. At a VE of 0.9 I think this would run like 225 CFM of air, if it was actually like 1.3 or whatever because of the blower it would get up to 375ish. Nevertheless, the housings on that page flow plenty for this application. I don't really wanna continue to hack this part of it up. It has a freshly rebuilt engine in it, part of a long life for that thing will be some nice clean air. I'll update with what one we buy and some pics!
If all it needs is to find the right filters it shouldn't be that hard to figure out which filters fit kshansen may have found them above.
The diameter with the fins on that one is 8 3/4, a little over. You can see in the original pic the housing is 8" diameter max. I have scoured the wix book pretty well and haven't found anything I'm too thrilled with throwing in there.
Have you looked at the Baldwin catalogue?
If you can find a new housing with right size and direction of inlet and outlet that might be the best way to go. Especially if you can find one that uses a primary and secondary element arraignment for safety. I looked at this page: https://powertherm.com/wp-content/themes/powertherm/pdf/DonaldsonAirFiltration251-258.pdf According to it a 3-53 at 2,800 RPM uses 319 CFM and if you were to add a turbo that would increase to 500 CFM. So if whatever filter set up you are looking at can handle say the 500 CFM you should be good to go. I really doubt a 55A Michigan is running a turbo but having the little extra CFM would give you a little head room for dusty conditions. Once you have this set-up be sure to post some pictures!
Man we just rebuilt it and at the tail end of the rebuild I went to Leid here in Michigan and the guy there showed me a 353T build they were doing for a timberjack. He said it was a common upgrade. We missed our chance!!!
Maybe a good thing, too much power can stress other components not designed for the power.
Update - we got these for it - Donaldson G080505 and a mishimoto MMCP-3035BK to adapt. Has great air now and everything bolted up perfectly