Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Michigan 75A Rear Wheel Predicament

pl8fixr ยท 2012-06-14 01:08

Greetings all, I somehwhat inherited a Michigan 75A with the Waukesau 6 cylinder motor. Things work great on it as far as motor, hydraulics bucket and it has a backhoe attachment that works great. My predicament is the left rear axle broke and the bolt flange on the end of the differential housing bent and broke. I suppose an axle might be in order if one can be found. I am not sure however on the fix for the bolt flange. I cant tell if the flange was pressed onto the axle housing or perhaps it was somehow welded onto the end as an assembly. It appears to be cast metal so that adds another twist to what I can do. Hoping someone out there is familiar with this machine and this area of it and can provide some suggestion on a fix. Does anyone know if the read end in these machines was interchangeable with other machines or anything. It looks like the rear end could have been used in large 2 ton trucks or something also. Thanks for any input. I added a pic for reference

Replies4
  1. #1Mike Van2012-06-14 05:55

    A quick search on google.com came up with http://www.tractorparts.com/clark.htm I'd start looking for used parts & prices, whatever ? Gotta figure out if it's worth saving. That part looks like it wore that way for a long time before it let loose.

  2. #2>HevyIndsMFGng<2012-06-14 21:13

    This website might be of some use: http://www.tractorparts.com/ They have a ton of old scrap machines of all sorts and might be able to help you out. Is the axle housing itself damaged or is it just the axle shaft flange? If the axle housing is indeed damaged it would be awfully difficult to repair as cast iron can be quite a monkey to weld.

  3. #3excavator2012-06-14 22:11

    I would think it's cast steel, highly doubt it would be cast iron.

  4. #4Taylortractornu2012-06-17 21:58

    Is ths an old rear steer machine? If it is Shafer's at Wolflake Illinois should have the whole axle for around 1200. I called 2 years ago for one for a scrap yard. It may be more now. Can you post a few pictures of the entire machine up for us Iron junkies. Id like to see the backhoe to. We dont see them around here like that with a hoe on back. Is the hoe a Pippin or a Ware.