Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Michigan 75B

bobalewy ยท 2014-12-06 08:32

Just registered There seems to be very helpful and knowledgable folks here Just purchased a 75B Need help can t find S# on frame does anyone know where? From looking at photos seems like early 70's with Cummins can't find those #s either Will DOT 3 Brake fluid work and be the correct fluid to use? Any help would be appreciated !

Replies9
  1. #1oldseabee2014-12-06 10:59

    SN usually stamped on the rear hinge plate and inside the front frame. Cummins engine CT 464C machine S/N 428A-101 through 265 V504 443A 101 and after. 504 with modulated transmission (Soft shift) with auxiliary charge pump 443E-101-CB and after. CB means built in Ashville NC, CAC would be built in Canada. S/N usually on data plate in the cab somewhere.

  2. #2bobalewy2014-12-06 19:13

    Hi, oldseabee, thanks for the quick response ! I have read your answers in pass posts it was people like you I was speaking about. When you say hinge plate do you mean horizontal steel where pivot pins go thru to let the machin articulate? If so , so far can t see them, perhaps too much paint or not clean enough. There is no data plates on machine. I have other Michigan loaders but can t remember what brake fulid to use (our shop man passed away last year.) I thought is was regular DOT 1, 2, or 3. We did have one machine That did use hydrolic oil but again don t remember maybe Hough . I ll try to post a photo or two to see if someone Can peg year ( think '73) I also have another 75 and a old 275 that's been sitting . I d be willing to sell can t bring my self to send to scrap metal man that's about 59 or '60 with new Cummins motor.

  3. #3kshansen2014-12-06 19:26

    Not that it will help with you Michigan, but all the Houghs we had used DOT 3. H90s, H100s, H120s. Just drawing a blank on the H400 brake systems???? Is there any fluid left in the system? Brake fluid has a different feel when rubbed between fingers, not a slick as a 10W Hydraulic would feel. Also try mixing what comes out with water. Brake fluid will mix with water and stay mixed, oil will just float on top.

  4. #4Ryan1512014-12-06 19:28

    I might be interested in the 275 is it a 275b? What's wrong with it why is it sitting?

  5. #5Ryan1512014-12-06 19:30

    Just rebuilt my entire brake system on my 55b and I used dot 3 no problems yet....

  6. #6bobalewy2014-12-06 23:17

    It' pretty old can t answer that. Suicide doors around 1960 When I bought it it came with a new cummins motor. I didn t use it much started it regularly. Then batteries when dead And leaked out some fluids over several years. It s been seating and didn t have time to deal with it. I believe in order to fit it into the machine the oil pan was cut down and may have developed a small leak . I didn t want to fill it up with fluids not use it and have it leak again. Should start haven t tried. It is a beast prob worth $5000 in steel. The motor must be useful to someone as well

  7. #7bobalewy2014-12-06 23:20

    Thank you guys for the other replies

  8. #8oldseabee2014-12-06 23:32

    Use DOT 3 in that machine. I have seen some machines with the S/N on the side plate at the rear of the machine.

  9. #9Ryan1512014-12-07 07:07

    Yeah sounds a bit old for what I am doing I'd need a 275b or even c