Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Michigan 75C loader question

Blaster ยท 2009-07-27 17:31

I've been sorting this old loader's troubles out ever so slowly but now I have another question and any and all help would be much appreciated.Its a 1981 loader with a 471 GM engine.I'm using it to haul away from a small screener here on my farm.Last week it was getting hot while using it so I changed the thermostat completly flushed the engine and radiator.I also cleaned the radiator outside and blew it out with air gun.Back together it stayed down on temperature for an hour or so and then stated getting hot again.I don't seem to have any leaks engine has full power and is working fine.If someone has a direction I could start looking it would be a big help.My neighbor suggested gettin a laser heat sensor tool that I guess you ain at different areas to tell you where it might be faulty,I think he said Princess Auto sells them up here.The radiator has no holes and seems clean as well. Al

Replies6
  1. #1jakesdad2009-07-28 00:56

    Hi blaster I have a hd9 allis track loader with a 4-71 mine will get hot but my problem is the fan blows from the inside the radiator to the outside of it.The biggest problem is my engine leaks a lot of oil and gets in the radiator and plugs it. Maybe you should check your hoses for cloaspes or blockage.Also I would replace your radiator cap.And sometimes radiator should just be replaced.

  2. #2Blaster2009-07-28 04:58

    Thank you for the reply.Will a pressure check on the radiator tell me if the rad needs replacing or do they finally just stop working correctly? Al

  3. #3Komatsu 1502009-07-28 08:16

    The tubes get lined with crud and lime and reduce both heat transmission and flow. They can be flow tested if you can still find someone who will do such a thing. The standard procedure for a radiator shop was to pull the tanks off and clean the tubes and then solder it back together. Sometimes the old radiators don't make it through the process.

  4. #4PipeGuy2009-08-03 17:48

    Make sure the fan shroud is tight enough around the fan also

  5. #5Blaster2009-08-04 04:47

    Thanks for all the help, i'm searching for another rad now but will need to replace in the near future.

  6. #6foley2009-08-05 13:31

    just a thought make sure it has the fan on the right direction that should have a pusher fan pushed air out the back of the machine if it is spinning backwards it will only mave about 1/2 the air some rad shops will boil out rads to remove some of the lime deposits in them