I was doing a little work with my clark 55 and when I pulled it in to the shop I noticed that it was leaking oil out of the lower steering trunion flange. there is a crack in the metal in the little upward cup in the flange. I thought that was strange and then looked at the other side and notice someone had brazed up what was probably a crack in that side. Any idea what is causing this? Is there more bad stuff going on inside the housing? This is for the rear steering axle. Thanks for the input. doug
Probably steer stops worn to the point that now the trunion is the stop
Okay, I will have to check the stops and how far things travel. To remove the trunion flange I would think that I might have to jack up the unit and support the wheel? Not sure what happens when I unbolt the four bolts that hold the trunion in. Also if the stops are fixed then that stops what ever caused the trunion to crack? So a brazed job on the trunion in sufficient, as it just needs to keep the oil in, or am I risking some sort of structural failure with the thing cracked? I suppose this isn't a job for JB Weld? thanks Doug
You can go to minnpar.com and down load parts book and operators manual by model and serial number, I think the operator's manual has specs for the steer stops and parts book will have part number for the trunion flange. Minnpar has some parts available. Not sure how strong the braze is, might hold for a while. if that is a cast iron part, may have to dig out all the brass and do a pre heat and redo with Nirod if you can't get a part, try some of the used parts houses.
Added some photos I cleaned up the left side and took some photos of it. It was not brazed but welded. And I noticed that in both sides there is a grease fitting hole with no grease fittings in them. Oil leaked out the one side that cracked but it didn't seem like a lot of oil, less then I was expecting. The pictures show the steering stops which don't seem to show obvious signs of being worn down. I don't know what they looked like new. I see the stop peg and the wear plate and they don't look bad. I need some advice in removing them. Do I take the weight off the wheel and have a jack under the wheel to control how much sag happens? And I would think I would have to get things lined up when putting new or repaired ones back.
Steer stops look good but if they aren't hitting, may need to be added to or linkage from steer valve out of adjustment. Could also have been one shock load like rear wheel dropping into a hole in full turn. Did you get operators manual?
Thanks for the help oldseabee, I downloaded a parts manual from minnpar.com but I don't see that they have operator manuals. I didn't hit a hole or anything but I might have gotten a little carried away with one of my turns. I think that I could just get the old one welded. Same as the other side that is all ready welded. What I would like to know is what are the ramifications in taking that flange off of there? I seem to think that the top and bottom flange hold the whole vehicle up. Also are those grease fitting in the bottom holes and I had some oil come out but not as much as I thought would. I will have to check the level at the fill plug and see. Thanks for your help.