I bought a clark Michigan loader no reverse. pulled the filter out and the plastic around the filter was gone. guess they never did much mainintice to the old girl shame cause the 318 engine works great strong in all forward gears. what kind of mess am I in now. with pieces of filter gone thru it any help would be great thanks lee.
First thing is do you have any manuals on this machine? Second was it ever working since you had it? I believe that transmission in a Clark and the main valve body in on the top and can be removed in chassis. But be for that have you checked the suction filter? Should be down near the bottom near where the transmission pump suction line connects. Any chance of a model number of the transmission?
I'm thinking this transmission should have an oil pan on the bottom and once it is off you should be able to remove the suction screen from the bottom. Item colored red would be the suction screen and it is also a baffle to keep the bottom gear from foaming up the oil! And that round part #9 is one of the two magnets in the bottom of the oil pan!
yes it isa clark trans. the model # is 3421, 2 serial#51171 m .we had the top off the trans. put new o rings and checked it over seemed okay. then we pulled the trans filter and found the white plastic around the filter was gone. somebody got their moneys worth out of that filter. wondering if that stuff plugged the internal lines and if I could blow them out.thanks kshansen for your input lee.
yes it has a bottom pan just like the picture you sent will clean that out next if it ever stops raining thanks lee.
Try as I can not finding anything on a 3421 Clark transmission
These guys show parts for one.. but I don't have any info on them as a company??? https://www.lesmachineriesst-amant....verter-axle-differential-and-planetary-parts/
When you put it in first gear reverse does it feel like it's trying to pull at all? Does the machine have a drive shaft from the torque converter to the transmission?(remote converter bolted to back of engine) If so does it stop turning when you go in reverse at idle ? Put it in forward and you'll see what I'm talking about. Some of those had pressure test hoses to check clutch pressures. You have forward gears and it's strong so a suction screen or charging pump Isn't your problem. My bet is reverse clutch is gone. Just a note-a pressure test may not reveal your issue. If the clutches are worn so thin they don't grip anymore but the seals on the clutch piston aren't blown it will give a good pressure reading but not move.
good morning gents this 175 has a tag on the trans . I got a picture of the tag. clark Benton harbour Michigan. model#3421 dash 2 serial #51171 with a space and then a letter m. wish I could put a picture on here but that is beyond my computing skills. the drive shaft from the torque convertor to the trans keeps right on turning but it stops in all gears when in forward. the drive shaft just quivers when in reverse but wont turn. it still shows 170 lbs in forward or reverse. but like you say if the clutches are shot I can see how I would have pressure. thanks everone for your input lee.
In neutral the shaft should spin basically around engine speed-roughly. When you put it in gear the shaft will stop turning until you rev it up. you say it quivers in reverse but doesn't turn. When you apply throttle in reverse does it start spinning but the tractor won't move? If so reverse clutch is gone.It's gripping just enough to stall the converter but that's all.
Are you saying the driveshaft between the converter and transmission is not turning when the machine is placed in any reverse gear but seems to be shaking? Or is it turning a slight bit each time so is turning but jerky? Say 10 degrees of rotation for each jerk? This is one of those times being there would save lots of confusion.
Yes I see that but it's, as far as I can tell, just a list of parts and part numbers. I was trying to find at the least a parts diagram to have a better idea of how this transmission was put together. Worked on a hand full of Clark transmissions but they were 1960's to 1970's version so not sure if they are the same or similar design. Rebuilt a 475IIIA transmission in-frame one December in Virginia many years ago.
the shaft spins all the time except in any gear in forward. you really have to rev it up in reverse to just see it quivering but will not turn a complete turn. do you think where the filter had the white covering with the holes in it and now its gone . wondering if it went through the tubes and plugged them. the previous owner said he loaded fill with it all day . parked it at nite and next morn wont move. he thought it might have been a spring or o ring gone. so I bought jt . worst case it wont earn me a dime just a yard loader. thanks guys lee.
Okay-guess I'm not getting a clear picture of what you're saying. So--when you put it in forward the driveshaft stops spinning and if you give it throttle the loader starts moving correct? And the when you put it in reverse the driveshaft stops turning again-but you rev it up and it still won't spin? Or does it spin and the tractor doesn't move? It's not making sense right now.
hi tractormech the loader moves great in all forward gears. neutral or reverse just keeps spinning . the more you rev it in reverse it just spins faster. the driveshaft never stops turning in reverse no matter what gear in reverse. jf u put a penny on the driveshaft it might vibrate it off. any semplance of turning just not there . sorry about the clarity of what im trying to say. but we will sort it out . thanks lee.
This is what has us confused. In the quote above you say it never stops turning and then in another post you say: "you really have to rev it up in reverse to just see it quivering but will not turn a complete turn. " Those seem to be at odds with each other.
Now I understand what you are trying to say. Your reverse clutch pack is shot.
If a clutch pack is shot I would kind-of expect there to be a good amount of material in the filters or laying in the pan at the bottom of the transmission. Wish I had a book to look at on that transmission, it may be possible to access the reverse clutch with transmission in the machine. Might need to remove a few components and hoses but might be better than having to pull transmission! But still don't really understand the descriptions of the driveshaft movement or non-movement.
It is possible to service the clutch pack without pulling the transmission if there's room to pull the cover. You will need to fashion a ring to compress the clutch pack springs enough to pull the snap ring and unload the clutch. I took a piece of 1/8 x 2 flat stock and had it rolled to fit inside of where the snap ring goes in the hub and a piece of flat bar across the top with a 1/2 inch threaded rod to compress with. It's not that bad of a job.
hi men I guess I created a little bit of confusion. the shaft from the torque to the trans only turns in reverse or neutral stops in any gear in forward. when I said the drive shaft just quivers al little I meant the front shaft from the trans to the front rear end it looks like its trying to move . I should of been a little clearer on that. sorry about that. have a good day talk later tks lee. u really have to rev it up to see it trying.
thanks greg I will let yiu know what im going to do talk at ya later tks lee. second email could you let me know the price on parts that will decide if I keep it or sell it as is. let some one else deal with it . we built a new home 2 years ago this thing scares me im only 60 feet from a lake if I see rainbows in the lake I will have to steal away in the nite.i look at that big hydraulic tank and get bad feelings. thanks a lot talk later lee.