Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Been out building a road in the woods with my JD 310SE

Nick G · 2020-04-26 22:49

Been working in my woods. Building a road from the bottom of the valley to the top of the hill. Slow going, lots of big rocks to move. Really enjoying my JD 310SE I bought last fall. Was great to plow snow in a heated cab for the first time. Now I'm in the woods every chance I get. Had to replace a couple backhoe bucket teeth pins. Rocks are hard on stuff!

Replies15
  1. #1Nick G2020-04-26 22:50

    Sorry about repeated pics, not sure what happened.

  2. #2Andy1845c2020-04-26 23:07

    Nice looking machine! Thats a hell of a rock!

  3. #3boone2020-04-26 23:28

    Nice looking machine! Now that's a rock. You have some nice options like the extendahoe and 4WD I wish mine had. Looks like they kept that thing in great shape. Even working marker lights and a beacon.

  4. #4Bootheal2020-04-27 00:32

    And clean glass....such a pleasure! Doesn’t last near long enough. Nice rig.

  5. #5Swetz2020-04-27 06:59

    Nick G, Great looking tractor! I just purchased a tractor as well, and a 310SG was on the short list. Around me, they want $10G more because it says Deere. My research showed that they are very reliable machines. Anyhow, My property looks a lot like yours with large rocks like you have in the loader, down to much more manageable rocks. I have plans to do some road work as well, if it would ever stop raining here. I tried to move some dirt and wound up over a foot deep in mud...I paid too much to scrap my tractor, so all is on hold until we dry out a spell. Thanks for sharing!

  6. #6Don k2020-04-27 08:01

    I have a 310SG and some very large rocks I have wanted to move but have been scared to try. But now looking at the one you have in the bucket I believe I will try. Great looking machine.

  7. #7Tinkerer2020-04-27 11:11

    It certainly is. I see it is plumbed for a hammer. Do you have one ?

  8. #8Nick G2020-04-28 08:06

    Hi Andy, it was a beast, didn't quite sit in the bucket for "rollback" so I put a seatbelt on Wanted to take it home but that's about 7 miles over blacktop. Didn't want to shred my front tires. I set it by the edge of the woods until I have time to get a heavy trailer down there.

  9. #9Nick G2020-04-28 08:08

    It was municipally owned, had all the service records since brand new. It's showing hose wear on the outer skins in a few places but most look original. I'm guessing someday I'll wish I had my own hose making machine

  10. #10Nick G2020-04-28 08:10

    Thanks Bootheal. Clean for now, like you said, doesn't take long. I try to keep my stuff looking nice. I'm struggling getting the alignment figured out on the back lower window. Latches keep letting go and the wondow drops. Of course, when I'm going down the road and I'm looking forward. Scares the crap out of ya when it drops.

  11. #11Nick G2020-04-28 08:14

    Hey Swetz, Thanks! Deere around here is the same, add $$. I looked a long time. I sold my triple nickel tracked loader to buy this. Tracks would be nice sometimes but I'm pretty happy about the versatility of this rig! I'm making roads, doing some riprapping (erosion control) and taking my time. Sometimes the dozer was nice to just plow through stuff but this thing can push some serious stuff around! If I can't push it, I can turn around and rip it out. Eventually I have to work my way up the sidehill to get out of the valley with my road, I'm a little worried about having enough material above me to pull down and form my road. Will be slow going but it's a "project".

  12. #12Nick G2020-04-28 08:17

    Hi Don, It's nuts what this tractor can pick up. With the really heavy extendahoe on the back, it's quite a counterweight. I'm mostly worried about the front "kingpin" pivots out at the ends of the axles. I sure wish those were greaseable. No Zerks to be found. I hate the idea of throwaway stuff, much rather grease things to last. My uncle has a Deere 3155 farm tractor, same brand of axle, very similar design. His just failed and broke. Totally dry pivot points inside. Going to be quite a job to repair, will need at least a half of front axle.

  13. #13Nick G2020-04-28 08:20

    Hi Tinkerer, It is plumbed for a hammer. I don't have one. I kind of wish it wasn't as I keep banging those feed lines and brackets on branches etc while I'm ripping out trees etc. I'd much rather a thumb but the plumbing for the hammer is one way flow from what I understand. Just a pedal and switch inside. Switch energizes the flow and pedal is on/off. I've read about guys putting solenoid splitters on the extendahoe circuit to get two way flow for a thumb. Might be a winter project for me.

  14. #14highwayghost2020-04-28 08:36

    I had some work done and the contractor had his 310 for sale. It ran strong and I was interested but it was 'well used' 8000 hrs and he wanted more than I thought it was worth, so I passed. The backhoe main boom had been broken right in the middle and repaired and fish plated. It takes a lot of power to break something like that! Use some caution!

  15. #15aighead2020-04-28 10:05

    Man, real jealous of you and that rock! And your land looks lovely! If you are willing to keep sharing I have a couple threads to point you to, both below are clickable... Boulder Hunt and What's Your Hoe Doing?