Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

mid 1970 440 mustang skid steer wont turn right

oldgoat ยท 2013-10-14 17:11

Hey everyone I am new here. I have a mid 70's mustang 440 and I was going to use it one day and when I went to turn to the right it made a strange sound like a low rpm turn on pavement.Then it stop turning right. It only made that nosie once.I talk to a few folks and was told to check the steering linkage that was fine then the hydrostsat. So I swapped sides with the motors and I slill have the same trouble on a right turn.When it is up on jack stands it seems to work fine no nosie.when I put it on the ground and try a right turn it feels like it want to turn but just for a inch or two. Hopefully someone can put me on to the next thing that I should look at.I know it is old but would like to keep it runnig if possable. Thank you all for your time

Replies13
  1. #1Iron@Dirt2013-10-14 19:55

    I would check into chain box or axle and bearing problems.

  2. #2oldgoat2013-10-14 20:33

    I have look at the chains and they look good that is the 50 and the 80 chains.Now on the axles is there asome sort of pin that holds the chain sprocket to the axles thanks

  3. #3oldgoat2013-10-15 06:19

    Iron@Dirt I just Woke up and the light came on in my pea brain that I should ckeck the bearings and chains while it is on the gound to see what is turning and what is not.JEZZ I am feel like dumb azz I will let you know what I find Thanks

  4. #4oldgoat2013-10-15 19:24

    I put it on the ground and when I went to turn to the right the hydrostat motor stop turning.when I go strait it seems to work put that could be the left side taking the load off the right.Could there be a control valve or pressure release valve inside the transmission? It seem like it looses pressure and wont turn the hydrostat motor on the right.

  5. #5mitch5042013-10-15 23:09

    When you go to turn right, the right side motor should stop turning. The left side should push extra hard to make it turn right. Does it push as hard as it used to when you are going straight? Like when you are pushing the bucket into the pile?

  6. #6oldgoat2013-10-16 06:51

    Yes it seem to, but when I put it up on jack stands. and look at it and turn right the right side slows down and if I make a hard right the right side goes backward,and the left goies forward.

  7. #7Iron@Dirt2013-10-16 19:52

    Might wont to check the stick arrangement, maybe something is slipping in the steering/drive handle. If it pulls good going straight but not when you turn I would look at the linkage real good.

  8. #8oldgoat2013-10-20 07:50

    I check the linkage replaced all the connections re adjusted it and still have the same trouble.

  9. #9Iron@Dirt2013-10-21 21:04

    Thought I had posted another question earlier, must have lost it, does the right side free wheel or try to brake, does it feel like the pistons floated off the swash plate?

  10. #10oldgoat2013-10-24 06:34

    I have to pull main hydrostat pumps out to have them rebuilt. if they can be rebuilt

  11. #11Iron@Dirt2013-10-28 20:15

    Are they Vickers tandem pumps?

  12. #12oldgoat2013-10-29 07:38

    Not sure but the guys doing them said that they can rebuild them. Just got to wait now.

  13. #13aars4402014-02-08 07:46

    not sure if you will see this, you say your mustang is a mid 70, I was told by mustang mine was a 1976 according to the id tag, but am also told mine is not a hydrostatic drive, as mine has a stick on each side and a large belt between variable speed disks, I saw a 1976 successful farming ad that says the 449 is a hydrostatic drive for 76, can I ask do you have any pictures of your unit and the drive area? thank you!