Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Midwest Logging Operations

EGS ยท 2011-01-23 19:19

These loggers are cutting right across from my house. We stopped on our way home from ice fishing to take some pictures. You don't see too many mechanical cutters around here. Most loggers are still using hand cutters and cable skidders, some of the bigger outfits have switched to forwarders.

Replies3
  1. #1JTL2011-01-23 20:09

    Its always nice to see logging iron from different parts of the country. I've never heard of a 340 Deere skidder before. Did ya catch any fish?

  2. #2EGS2011-01-23 20:20

    Here is a few more of the log piles. This is the biggest timber sale I have ever seen in this area. Probably won't happen again.

  3. #3EGS2011-01-23 20:28

    The 340 is just a 440 with no turbo and some have smaller tires. Deere only made the 340 in the D series. A couple of my logging buddies have them. I have been looking for a 340 for a while, with no luck. My dad always had 440's and I think one 540 for a while. The 440C is my all time favorite skidder. We got a few perch and some bluegills. Not a lot of luck with the ice fishing this winter. Everybody that I talk to has been slow.