Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

pulpwood prices?

Monte1255 ยท 2011-01-19 19:09

Had an offer by a gentlman today for pulpwood. Just curious what others are recieving for the same. Man said he'd come and pick up the wood and pay as much as $30/thousand bd ft. for boxelder and $50/thousand for other types of softwood such as poplar and similar woods. It's not a big deal for me actually, as I get paid by the hr. but was thinking "hey if he's willing to come and get it .........gravy!" Any thoughts?

Replies7
  1. #1JTL2011-01-19 20:04

    I'd say go for it! Especially if he's gonna haul it away. I did some figureing. Out here pulp is bought by the ton, and right now it's going for about $25 a ton. A good load of short logs is going to weigh about 26 tons, and around 3200 bd ft. At the ton price its $650 a load. By the thousand it would be $960 for the boxelder and $1600 for the other stuff. I don't think your gonna lose!

  2. #2Autocar2011-01-19 20:44

    I would only get X amount bd.ft.to him then see how soon he pays you, alot of good it is if you get burnt

  3. #3EGS2011-01-19 21:12

    Around here they buy it by the ton. Right now they are paying between $30 and $55.

  4. #4Monte12552011-01-19 22:25

    By my calculations an above average log can yield about 100 bd feet or so, with that said it will take 10 to 12 logs make up a 1,000 bd/ft. with the rest being sold for cheap firewood or burned through my own furnace. In gestimating I would say that 10 to 12 logs will be somewhat close to that ton price as well. Most of the guys that I deal with do not want the "trash wood" and feel it is more of a detriment to their tractors and equipment than anything and so they "just want it out of here". For me the piles of logs and trash are a liablity and reflect poorly on my abilities when I am told to "just pile it and we'll burn it later". So I kind of figured if they want it gone I can certainly make it dissappear, but if I'm going to do the bucking, I'd like to see a fair price.

  5. #5DelawareLou2011-07-11 14:41

    Can someone tell me what is the price for pulpwood if the mill harvests the logs on its own? is the $25 to $30 per ton price for pulpwood require you to deliver cut wood to the mill? I have an offer from a mill for much less than $25 per ton but they will cut it down on our land and haul it away.

  6. #6mitch5042011-07-11 16:11

    the $25-30/ton is cut up and delivered to the mill, and most mills won't buy unless you have a contract to deliver a lot, and several kinds of high-dollar insurance,too. the on-the-stump price around here is about 5-8, maybe 10 for big wood near the mill.

  7. #7forester2011-07-11 16:17

    selling wood only (aspen) is about $3-3.50 locally. Birch..if you can find a buyer in the city goes for closer to conifer rates. Conifer goes for a premium due to the number of sawmills around at around $9/ton. Stump to dump operations are getting $49-55/ton prices but that includes harvesting and hauling...rates increase to the $55 mark in exchange for up to a 2.5 hour haul one way.