Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Might be in the market for a new hammer.

Canadian_digger · 2011-03-27 19:45

So I think I may be in the market for a new hammer. I bought a used city rammer s25 (750lbs) about 3 years ago. When I got it, it worked fine for a little while then quit working. So I had it fix for around $5000. It worked really well till now. It quit working again. I did not use it all that much. I'm guessing around 200-300hrs mostly breaking rock. I sent it in to get repaired again, they quoted me $8500 this time! They told me that pretty much all the main components needed to get rebuilt or replaced. They suggested that maybe I buy a new hammer. The one I have now is a 1995. What would you guys recommend? Fix the old one or buy new. If new what brand would you recommend? I was thinking Allied, Tarmac or NPK, It would be for a Deere 310SG Thanks.

Replies20
  1. #1Canadian_digger2011-03-27 20:10

    If I do decide to buy new the things I would like the most would be. Durability Reliability Low repair/ maintenance cost. Hard hitting, Seems like Tramacs hammers a lighter so you could fit a larger class impact hammer, on the same size machine.

  2. #2MrElectric032011-03-28 00:44

    Ill admit the only hammers I have experience with is NPK and im a certified tech and we are a dealer. So I cant compare a whole lot. However, I can say that while the parts are rarely cheap, the NPK hammers and crushers which are what I mostly deal with are very well built and main parts handle alot of stress. Im guessing youd be looking for an H3x or H4x. The big things you want to check if you are thinking about buying used are check the gas charge, main rods, and tool bushing. When main rods are installed they actually stretch when tightened and have a spec, after they stretch passed that point they are junk. All in all I consider them to be awesome hammers, as far as product support goes I dont think you will find a better company to deal with. Even if your regional rep isnt available there are a handfull of people in the office there to help you.

  3. #3cutting edge2011-03-28 00:53

    I'll second the NPK products and their product support. With regards to that rammer though...it sounds like you're being bent over a barrel. Have you been maintaining it properly? What is/has failed in it?

  4. #4hammerman2011-03-28 06:30

    I think krupp hammers are the best!!! I have worked with Furukawa,npk,indeco...

  5. #5hammerman2011-03-28 08:21

    New calarification: krupp hammers right now are called Atlas Copco.(in Spain I don´t know in other countries)

  6. #6Revicm2011-03-28 09:22

    I have a 20 year old Teledyne hammer I use everyday for 8 months out of the year. The only thing I have had to do to it is change the seals out once every 3 or 4 years and a new tool maybe once a year. I check the nitrogen once a season also. Not sure who owns them now but for service I was told to go to Cat. Keep em' greased they last forever.

  7. #7Canadian_digger2011-03-28 14:55

    Anyone hear of Magnum Attachments? I was talking to a guy I know and he spoke very highly of them.

  8. #8Canadian_digger2011-03-28 15:03

    This is what is wrong with the hammer. Clean, disassemble hammer and all internal components and inspect. Tool was stuck in lower bushing, Tool is worn beyond spec. Upper and lower tool bushings worn beyond spec, Removed Tie rods, one broken, detected cracks in others, Muffler padding is severely damaged and deteriorated. Polish piston. Reseal hammer replacing tie rods, nuts, upper and lower tool bushings, muffler pads and accumulator membraines. Install new chisel tool and grease. $8,479.23cnd plus tax.

  9. #9Dickjr.2011-03-28 16:12

    Atlas Copco seems to be taking over around here. We have anything from slate to real hard limestone. I wonder if you could pick up a good used hammer from a rental fleet , as they replace them every couple years. May be the way out. A guy I know just replaced a 5000 lb cat hammer was 20k to repair or 82500 for a new one. I bet 10 k would buy a newer hammer with the same warranty as the repaired one. Good luck.

  10. #10Canadian_digger2011-03-28 16:53

    The guy I talk to that sell the Magnum hammers told me that they aslo rent, So I asked him for a price on a used one. He is supost to get back to me tomorrow.

  11. #11DGODGR2011-03-28 22:57

    I'm not sure why you would want to buy another Magnum hammer. If it is going to cost you $8,500 to run 300 hours (plus your owning and operating costs of the carrier) I can't see how you could be competitive. The way I see it one of two things has happened here. Either you are operating the tool incorrectly and causing premature wear or the tool you are using is made from substandard materials (or the same applies for the parts used in the last rebuild). I am used to seeing less wear on much larger tools than what you are talking about. Hammers have a tough life but the smaller tools, like those that go on a TLB, should last much longer than what you are getting. I suggest Atlas Copco, BTI, or NPK.

  12. #12Leon Phelps2011-03-29 22:06

    I would agree with going to another brand. It is like buying the extended warranty on a car, if the guy selling it needs to push it then you know you need another brand. I would look around for a used one, then you have some time to look around. I would also get my old one back and pay the fees what you are into it already. Bottom feeding for someone to repair it is way easier than having your stuff in someone elses garage and they already showed they want too much money for the repair.

  13. #13cutting edge2011-03-29 22:35

    This survey tells me that you arent using the tool properly nor inspecting and maintaining it as you should Did you ever measure the tool and bushings? Check accumulator charge? Use chisel paste? If you're offended,don't be...Iv'e seen much bigger hammers destroyed by guys who didnt qute know exactly how to run/maintain the tool.just make sure the next hammer you buy comes with a quick lowdown from the dealer on how to operate and maintain the tool.

  14. #14hammerman2011-03-30 05:18

    You are right cutting edge destroyed not = bad hammer, destroyed= maybe bad run/maintain

  15. #15hammerman2011-04-08 19:23

    Komatsu pc 1250+ atlas copco http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLntg7hts0k&feature=player_embedded

  16. #16WV earth mover2011-04-08 19:51

    We have a tramac bought new in 06 still works great never rebuilt yet probably has 500 hrs on it have also ran magnum alot due to local rental company putting them on any exc you rent with hammer

  17. #17WV earth mover2011-04-08 20:19

    Our tramac is a hybrid i guess cause it also says IR and montibert on it dont know the deal there but works fine hope i dont need anything soon for it though dealer quit that line i probably should of went with magnum but at the time tramac was about 1500 cheaper but now the magnum dealer is still there .

  18. #18jeff1122011-04-12 23:14

    I have a old contech hammer I think its a 750 or 1000 lb class its very heavy, I never had to service it, the nitrogen was recharge before I purchased it,I'm not familiar with how other brands work but mine has a lubrication system that uses the hydraulic oil from the machine to lubricate the tool. I have used it for ten plus years I just hook it up and it always works, I even lay it on its side web not in use I was told its hard on the seals?

  19. #19hammerman2011-04-13 01:32

    Nice lubrication system,I never have looked it,I´d like to know a little please...

  20. #20jeff1122011-04-13 08:33

    the company contech is out there still in business, not sure what the new features are on the new or newer ones, i would just check it out on line.