I have a 1973 ford 4500 TLB with two lever controls for the bucket. I would like to change to a single joystick control. Anyone done this conversion or know anything about it? Thanks, John
I am talking about the front loader bucket. Also, the two lever control that I currently have has a knob to the right that you can push and pull, but I don't know what it does. Anyone know?
Single lever loader controls with a right knob are usually a clam bucket control.
4500s had a diverter valve beside the loader valve that turns the flow off to the backhoe. If it doesn't work, someone has probably bypassed it. 2 or 1 lever controls is a linkage question. You may be able to find a linkage you can adapt, or you can get a valve with the linkage with it. It can be a pain to adapt valves to the old Fords, because of the way the return line hooks up. Good Luck, Mitch
My 555A Ford has joystick control for the bucket. Not sure if it could be adapted to your machine, might have to relocate the valve.
Thanks Gentlemen, I am going to a tractor salvage yard this week and look at a couple Ford backhoes for joystick controls. I will let you know what I find. John
Two levers? Lemme guess, one controls up and down, the other the bucket angle? Is it possible to blend the lever motion? Where you lift and curl the bucket at the same time. This sounds like the marketing department was calling the shots on how the hoe was equipped. I have no doubt the hydraulic engineers knew how to make a single lever control. BUT, the marketing weasels didn't want to include that, trickling out the improvements from year to year gives you a reason to dump the old one and buy a better, new one. I loathe marketing weasels.... I've read over the years articles about how the engineers knew how to build a killer product, but the weasels wouldn't allow it. It always took years for all the improvements to hit the market.
on a 4500 that's your auto leveling for your bucket,only works going up. I'ts not a diverter valve for the backhoe,i've yet to see anything like that on a 4500.
Hey Daman, stop by and you can look at mine. Also, it is in the Ford Service Manual, it is one way they were plumbed.
I've got a '78 445 at work and the chassis looks identical to the 4500. The 445 has the single stick control you speak of and I'm betting would bolt in place.
Daman, I guess this would be useful with a set of forks attached? How does it work? Just pull it out and the bucket will auto level? Thanks, John
I have all the OEM FORD manuals for the 4500 none of mine state this,this is my third 4500 in my <<<<avatar none have ever had what your explaining that valve(if equipped) is for auto leveling(bucket)if yours is a diverter valve someone converted it at one time i've never seen it on this machine. In short,,on this tractor(4500 TLB) FULL oil PSI is sent from the pump right to the backhoe valve block FIRST, then it's circulating through it out to the loader valve block then back to the frame mount sump. Yes out on the nob sets the bucket auto leveling going up,play with it you'll see how it works mine worked great,this newest one of mine does not have it.
.........
How do you know the difference between the 445 and 4500, from what I have read here, mine is a 4500, and year would be 78