Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Might have bought some tires

HarleyHappy · 2024-04-24 12:38

So, having been looking for some rear tires on my Case 580 SE for awhile, I might have gotten lucky, maybe not. I have been watching tire prices on EBay and Simplytire for a couple of years. I just got 275/65/20” E rated tires on my truck last week, scored them on Simplytire for 132 bucks each, they are Armstrong and quite pleased with them for a cheap tire. Simply tire is very frustrating because it’s like a roulette wheel with prices. It seems if you take a week off from looking, the prices get better. Went on yesterday morning and they had 4 or so tires from Carlisle, Acenso, BKT and Maxdura for 4 or 500 a tire. Ended up ordering Maxdura 1324 R-4 12 ply tires for 372.00 a piece and with 30 dollars xtra for shipping, usually it’s free unless they are big tires. So for 800 bucks I got 2 tires, after getting kicked out of the site a couple of times. I haven’t got a shipment confirmation but it is in my account, got an extra 10% off for setting up an account. Now, while I realize you get what you pay for, for tires but the reviews on all of them suck. Whats interesting is, if I go on Simplytire right now the price for the Maxdura 1324 R-4 tire is over 700 a piece? I went into the account after waiting for this post to land and checked account and it claims delivery for April 29th. This site is really aggravating me for the last few days. Not sure what’s going on but it’s the only site I’m having trouble with. So, it’s entirely possible, I got new sneakers coming for the old lady.

Replies21
  1. #1dgb2024-04-25 22:13

    Sounds like a scam, hope you used Discover or other card that has as good a scam guarantee. I say this because last year I seen a deal for Rotella 15-40 five gal. pales, for the same price they were only a couple years ago, and after ordering (with Discover) the product did not arrive 3 days later like they said, think I waited 4 or 5. So called Discover after calling the Company number that had a recording something about retirement income.. they said my card was actually charged twice and was about to be charged again! Discover covered the bill, and I got a new wake up to the times we are in.

  2. #2HarleyHappy2024-04-26 09:24

    It’s not a scam, Simplytire is one of the biggest online tire places. I got the 20” tires for my truck at an unusually good price. Tires Direct and Tire Rack just merged last week and I usually order from them. Simplytire is a great tire place, it’s just their prices are all over the board from hour to hour. I will admit I’m a little unsure of this sale at that price but they already dinged the card and it does show in my account, just sweating the shipping confirmation. Still unsure of the Maxdura tires, I spent an hour looking for any reviews on the 1324 R-4 tire and I couldn’t find anything on them other than they are made in India.

  3. #3HarleyHappy2024-04-27 08:42

    Got a call from Fed Ex yesterday for a delivery date of Wednesday next week. Still having mixed feelings for tires being so cheap. Lol

  4. #4colson042024-04-27 09:24

    I wouldn't worry too much about the tires, provided they show up (sounds like they will) You have an old machine doing hobby work. Even if these tires won't hold air, a couple tubes and you're running again. The lugs will probably outlast you on this set of tires. I have a Deere 310A. My grandpa put used tires on it 20 years ago, I bought this machine from him 10 years ago. They look like hell, minimal depth left to the bars, but they hold air and bite plenty enough to stall the engine in a hard push. They'll stay on my hoe til they rip themselves apart. Even new, expensive, name brand tires can be faulty. We bought a Deere 7230R with new Good Years on all 4 corners. About 2 years in and both rear tires got replaced under Good Years prorated warranty system. Both rears kept splitting internally, multiple times. You'd be driving across the field, mowing hay and Poof! Instant flat. Not punctures from the outside, but defined, large cracks forming on the inside. Tire guy had our back on the warranty deal.

  5. #5crane operator2024-04-27 10:11

    I've purchased tires before from simple tire and had no problems. I don't know about simply tire....

  6. #6cfherrman2024-04-27 10:27

    I use eBay. I just bought a set for the mini van that was $10 from the cheapest on there and they have been excellent tires for really cheap, $300 set. I've bought tires locally before and I always wanted bfg all terrain tires. A few years ago I bought a set for $400 less than locally and I'm going to have to get a set sooner. They are way cheaper and you just self insure yourself for road hazard. If you wear out a set without problems your typically fine. I used to sell tires and there were plenty of people that came out way ahead with a road hazard.

  7. #756wrench2024-04-27 10:32

    Goodyear hasn’t made a decent ag tire in years based on my experience. For implements i started using BKT. For tractors, Firestone or BF Goodrich(which is now a subsidiary of Michelin but cheaper). I would probably use BKT on tractors and other stuff too depending on the price

  8. #8colson042024-04-27 11:48

    If we are footing the bill for new tractor rubber, it's Firestone all the way. Implements can be whatever is available in the size we need, but usually a quality brand.

  9. #9HarleyHappy2024-05-02 09:42

    Look what showed up yesterday! Lokks good and a great deal at 802.00 shipped.

  10. #10NH575E2024-05-02 17:49

    Congrats on the new shoes! I haven't seen Armstrong tires in ages. I'm sure they aren't the same as yesteryear but I use to buy and loved that brand. Had em on the rear of my 68 AMX and it was the most predictable tire it ever had. I could feather the rear end out with the throttle without it coming out from under me. I also ran Armstrong load range B trailer tires on my 63 Morris Mini Cooper S when I autocrossed it.

  11. #11HarleyHappy2024-05-03 09:58

    I had Armstrong tires in the 80’s but haven’t seen them for 30 years or so. I just towed a trailer to pick up a rototiller for my Kubota and the truck drives like a dream with the new summer tires. Did not know Armstrong tires were still made. Got the tires off the backhoe and brought them to the tire shop with 2 new tubes. Thinking of filling them when they come back. My Kubota with filled tires feels much less tippy than the backhoe and thinking filling the tires might help. I do a lot of work in the woods with it.

  12. #12Truck Shop2024-05-03 13:29

    Firestone is owned by Bridgestone, it's Bridgestone's second line. I bought allot of Bridgestones & if I couldn't get the BRS tires I wanted I always fell back to Firestones.

  13. #13Swetz2024-05-03 14:05

    I would be interested in hearing how you do this, and how it works out.

  14. #14Welder Dave2024-05-03 17:27

    Armstrong became Titan and they bought the Goodyear farm tire division. I'm not sure if it includes backhoe tires? I think so but don't know if they're considered farm tires or industrial off road tires. I put Titan tires on my tractor and have been very pleased with them. I've seen a lot of Goodyear tires get weather checked in a very short time. The new tires on my skid steer were so weather checked after about 5 years I had to replace them. I wasn't aware Goodyear had a warranty for it or it was only for 4 years. Had I have known, I would have had them replaced under warranty after a less than 2 years. Worst tires I ever had. Firestone I'm on the fence about. Some people really like their tires but they've had some famously bad tires. I got some overseas Neumaster tires on the skid steer now that have been really good. I got them for $140/ea. from a guy selling tires from his acreage. Goodyear Completes Sale of Farm Tire Business to Titan Tire Goodyear has completed the sale of its North American farm tire assets to Titan Tire Corporation for $100 million. The sale also includes a licensing agreement with Titan to pay a royalty to manufacture and sell Goodyear-branded farm tires in North America www.agriculture.com Sexsmith Farm Parts 10-16.5 Neumaster $283.50 In Stock. Sks Tire/ SUPERTRACTION/TUBELESS/10PR . New. www.sexsmithfarmparts.com

  15. #15HarleyHappy2024-05-04 08:32

    There are plenty of videos on you tube, using beet juice and RV antifreeze and you can actually cut it with water depending on your freeze levels where you live. It literally depends on the cost at the time, what is cheaper. I had the tires filled on my Kubota, with calcium and when I went to do the tires on them, the rims were destroyed, so I won’t be doing that again, unless I use tubes. It was also quite expensive. They actually have weight charts and while beet juice and RV anti freeze are equivalent to water, it is still substantial weight. The 17.5”x24” tires on the rear, they say will require 62 gallons to fill, each. I will see if I can find the video of the best one. It is extremely cheap to do in your own, except for the material.

  16. #16NH575E2024-05-04 08:32

    Armstrong changed hands a couple of times. Made in Indonesia now.

  17. #17HarleyHappy2024-05-04 08:34
  18. #18HarleyHappy2024-05-04 08:36

    Tire Ballast Filling Guide - EnviroTech Services As the general contractor, we first create the highest level of trust and integrity with our clients. We value our role in the success of your project. envirotechservices.com

  19. #19Swetz2024-05-04 08:39

    My New Holland TC33D has calcium. Dealer installed it when the machine was brand new. It works great for ballast, but I see rust around the valve stems, and I have a bad feeling about them as well. I did watch a video on Tractor Time With Tim in which he had his tires filled. The guy that filled them had special equipment in order to do it. This is why I thought one could not do it for themselves without an investment. I guess I should look more into it. When the 445A is up and running, I plan to get some weight in the tires....don't know what, but not calcium!

  20. #2056wrench2024-05-04 09:39

    Can you somehow add cast iron wheel weights? I prefer using them to adding fluid/calcium. No corrosion, however, if the rims weren’t designed for weights then they may have to be reinforced around the holes where the weights are attached. If none can be found, and you are handy, you may be able to make your own from concrete and then paint to match. For example, a steel pipe ring filled with concrete and mounting studs set at the correct pattern via a plywood template

  21. #21HarleyHappy2024-05-05 08:36

    While weights are not a bad idea and I think my rims would be strong enough to support them, the ease of using a sump pump in a 30 gallon bucket and a 15 dollar valve off Amazon are just to good to pass up. I am putting tubes in them already and the difference in stability between my backhoe and the Kubota is quite substantial. I was just using the Kubota yesterday and the push-pull and maneuverability while in the woods, is awesome. I do worry about the extra wear and tear on the drivetrain, so will have to do more research.