Does anyone use or seen people using ex military 6x6 trucks as dump trucks. Seems like it would be a good fit considering they are 6x6 with big offroad tires have government rebuilt cummins motors and allison trans. Every one I have seen is very clean. Given that dump work is mainly off road I think these would work well. The only downsides I see is the comforts like loud road noise no a/c. Any input I sure would appreciate it. I was thinking at buying one to be owner operator for a local gravel, dirt company here in Northern Illinois. Thanks in advance
Talk to Gary's Trucks in Anchorage. He has been selling surplus military trucks for over 40 years.
Welcome to the Forums dump1010!:drinkup I've been thinking about getting one as well for an off-road truck. Started a thread about it several months ago, haven't pulled the trigger - HeavyEquipmentForums
they are super not friendly on road, if your just doing site hauling it could be the ticket.
Thanks all for the feedback. CM1995 thanks for the thread link. Interesting info. I actually was thinking of using on for local 60 mile radius hauling dirt and gravel.
My use would be off-road only - not tags, road insurance and red fuel.
A few years ago I replaced two transfer cases in one set up with a dump box. Apparently when in low range and in reverse there was weak spot in the case. Both broke in the same spot. This was a "10 ton" Bridge truck modified with a dump box.
"Letsdig18" on youtube has one. Seems to work well for him. Hes on this forum too, forgot his name on here though.
120 miles round trip would be a 3+ hour journey. They're not known for power or speed. The only reason they are even turbocharged was to clear the smoke. The turbo only really added 15hp
I have one with a N/A 855 and it smokes like a freight train. Was advertised as having a 8.3, but still bought it after seeing the N/A. Got it cheap and it runs like a top, but i've been banned from letting it idle in front of my parents house.
I've considered the idea myself either a five ton dump and a 20 ton pintle hook trailer or a 6x6 tractor and a lowbed for an equipment transport truck. I work pretty close to home so low speed isn't a huge concern. I do a lot of ag type work where it would be nice to be able to pull off road with a loaded truck or trailer. John
Had one, thought it would have been super handy, ended up being a super pain. The Pros, all wheel drive & cheap. The Cons, really heavy mine weighed in at 22k empty, short box 10', huge turning circle, low payload - 10 ton on highway, underpowered, short geared - top speed of 50, air assist hydraulic brakes and a 24v wiring makes civilian trailers impractile - those glad hands are for daisy chaining trucks not for trailers, absolutely no creature comforts in the cab - no heater, hand powered wipers, no tunes..., see im sure I missed something.... oh, supposedly when shifting from forward to reverse you have to go to first or you could wipe out the sprag clutch 4x4 system, and one more, the tranny wasn't a roadranger, it was more like a farm tractor. Needless to say I was very happy to sell mine and buy a ford f-800 single axle dump. Now a friend has one for moving his screener around in his gravel pit, works great for that, he uses it once a month maybe for 10 minutes, works perfect. Some local flagstone quarry guys like them cause they can keep their haul roads barley passable to foot traffic and still get the stone out, this really cuts down on the gov snoopes.