A guy has a miler two fifty twin ac/dc stick welder for sale. He’s asking $ 300 Canadian but said we can talk about the price since he’s had it listed for a month now. Is this a good machine? Good price or not? Thanks
Seems awful cheap if it is a working welder. A new one is probably around $3K or more.
Was it stolen somewhere ?? If it isn't you found a real deal.
Don't think it was stolen. Didn't see nothing about a stolen welder anywhere. Will go there on the weekend.
It's an older model from 1972 (according to attached owners manual) to maybe 75/76. Saw another one with a 1975 serial number. Possibly a predecessor of the more popular Dialarc 250 AC/DC. Here's an owners manual. It only lists the one manual on Millers site which suggests it wasn't very popular. $300 seems high considering you could get a brand new inverter from Everlast with at least a 3 year and maybe a 5 year warranty for about the same money. I know a guy who owns some high end welders and bought an Everlast and says it welds every bit as good as his expensive Lincoln and Miller machines. If it was a Dialarc 250 in excellent condition and welded properly it could be worth $300. Being it wasn't a common model I'm guessing it was a lower end model than the Dialarc and the Dialarc replaced it in short order. I'd probably pass on it unless the price dropped to $200 or less and it was like new. A few years ago it would have been worth more but with the new inverters proving to be good reliable machines, some of the older conventional machines have lost a lot of value. Best older single phase machine in my opinion is a Lincoln Idealarc 250 AC/DC. Little nicer welding arc than a Miller Dialarc 250 AC/DC. https://www.millerwelds.com/files/owners-manuals/O313_MIL.pdf
They are pretty nice welders, I bought the Lincoln equivalent at an auction for $250, then another just like it for $25. Welder Dave posted while I was typing, so, I'll add this: The ones I bought were Idealarc 250s, from the mid '70s, which are great welders. A place I worked in the '80s, had those Millers, they were pretty good too. One thing to watch out for, make sure it is single phase. Unless, of course, you have 3-phase into your shop.
The title of the thread said 250 twin so I thought it was gasoline powered.
Yep ! Me to.
I did too till I looked it up. Was thinking of an Onan powered welder. I knew Miller made an Econo Twin 150 amp single phase welder. The Two Fifty Twin is single phase but I don't think it should be confused with a Dialarc 250 which were much more common and still made today. It may be just fine but not being as common as a Dialarc 250 or Idealarc 250, I think $300 is a little high especially if Idealarc 250 AC/DC's are going for $250 or less.