Been 4-5 years since I milled, nobody else has used the mill either. Couple days getting it fired up (20 hp Honda), including a carb teardown and cleaning other than greasing, it's ready. Got my way overdoo to be milled logs on site and the mill shed cleaned out. Going to be extra waste, nobodys fault but mine. Hope to make sawdust tomorrow come hell or high water. Ed 1st load on the trailer. The Amish nightmare....
Ahhh, fresh cut timber love that smell!!! It's been about the same time for me, just seems like I been too busy to clear my mill off and do some cutting. Can't wait to see some pics of the slabs, do you have an edger or just use the mill?
I just use the mill, with the infrequent use an edger would be another headache..... That brings me to today's kick in the nuts. Had a carriage bearing to fix, made in the land of never quite right, zerk hole wasn't straight, couldn't get a gun on it. Remove bearing, clean, remove zerk, hog out counterbore with a carbide burr, clean, grease, reinstall.....grease everything else, load first log, dog it in and start to mill! Hit a thick spot in the log and......engine dies, no fuel. Bad pump. Things were progressing so good. At the mercy of the parts gods now. Wouldn't know what to do if things went smoothly. Ed
My parts guy found a briggs pump that'll work, cool! Got it installed, b*****d still wouldn't run..... Tracked it down to a cracked fuel filter, sucking air. Kick me in the balls again. Ed
bad pump, cracked filter.... sounds like ethanol petrol at work Haven't started mine in at least a year, I'm sure I'll have to rip the carb apart and de-gunk it among other things...
Finally got the danm thing up and running tonight.....cut the first cant. Lumbers going to flow tomorrow! Ed
Milled 6 logs today, the last 4 White Ash I'll ever mill and 2 White Oak. A decent day other than some "set" issues with re-sharpened bands, as in not enough set, they were wandering all over the place and wouldn't clean the cut. Going with new tomorrow. My brother helped me today, showing off his profile, lol. last, the haul for the day. Ed
Do you run coolant on the blade and if so what do you run?
We use a "Sure shot" air sprayer. 1 gallon of chainsaw bar oil to 1 1/2 gallon of diesel fuel. Just give it a few shots as you cut the log. Ed
Hmmmm, haven't tried oil mixes.. always stuck to water mixes. 4:1 water pinesol or water and differing soaps. and to apply it I have a dripper tube just above my blade on the entry side of the log with a one gallon pump up sprayer mounted on the carriage with a little needle valve so I can tune the drips. but then again most of what I cut has been fir, cedar, hemlock, small amount of maple, ash and cottonwood... maybe a few odds and ends in there somewhere also
Was told my "wandering" problem was the gullet, the set checked good at .065. Started the day stacking & stickering yesterdays limber. Got through the last White Oak and started on the Red Oak. It's a long day running manual mill alone. Only did 3 logs. Ed
wish you were closer have a look at this
Black Walnut? Should be lots of figured lumber in it. Ed
yes bw have`nt tried to figure board ft yet . no one around here seems to be interested in it as it is so i guess i`ll see what comes out b f wise and go from there, was a storm casualty
Got the Cherry all milled yesterday afternoon/evening...had the generator and big arse led light going so I could finish. Got it stacked & stickered tonight. Just need to service the mill and clean up my mess this weekend. Ed
I really enjoy cherry for making furniture. I built my wife a cedar lined, cherry blanket chest for Christmas a few years ago out of locally milled cherry. I need to get caught up on 'life' so I can finish the bedroom set I wanted to make her. Nice work bumpsteer
Thanks Ed