Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Milwaukee grease gun vs hand. How to stop the oozing after you release the trigger.

emmett518 ยท 2024-08-05 07:18

Based on the recommendations from this site, I bought a Milwaukee electric grease gun. When I use it, it continues to ooze grease after I release the trigger. That means if I disconnect the fitting from the zerk, without waiting 15 seconds, grease oozes out of the tip, and globs on the zerk. If I use a hand pump gun, I can disconnect the fitting immediately after stopping, and nothing oozes. Is there anything I can do to ameliorate this? I'm almost at a point where I'm going to start using the hand gun because it's faster, and makes less of a mess. Thanks

Replies8
  1. #1Deere500a2024-08-05 13:18

    Sounds like the zerk is not taking & building pressure in the hose. Own the M12 makes a mess zerk has pressure on pin,not cleaned or replace. Some get lucky clean Grease tip I'll fill with Pb blaster reinstall push grease mix into the pin.

  2. #2IceHole2024-08-05 16:15

    Lock n lube makes a valve

  3. #3Coaldust2024-08-05 19:30

    Sounds like my plumbing when my prostate swells up. I feel your pain. It just oozes when I let off the trigger.

  4. #4cfherrman2024-08-06 15:33

    I think that's strange I've used a few different grease guns and don't remember that happening, you might reach out to Milwaukee

  5. #5materthegreater2024-08-09 06:51

    Mine does the same thing. I assumed it was just how battery guns are. I also just use a hand gun on my equipment because it's also smaller and lighter than the Milwaukee. But the Milwaukee is nice to have for tightening tracks or anything more than a routine greasing.

  6. #6colson042024-08-09 07:02

    We have 2 milwaukee and 2 Dewalt guns. They sorta oose a bit extra, but it's not an appreciable amount. I'll pay closer attention to it later as I have to service some equipment this morning. I'm usually going through 2-3 tubes of grease when I grab the grease gun though and I'm more concerned with getting the grease into whatever needs serviced and back to work.

  7. #7Cliffy2024-08-10 01:36

    Under the unit there is a 17mm bolt. Pull that and the check valve is behind it. Give it and the seat a clean and it might solve the problem

  8. #8materthegreater2024-09-27 21:44

    I was thinking about this again the other day - I never had problems with grease making a mess until I switched from "red" grease to "moly" grease at the request of the owner of a CAT excavator that I rented. The moly type grease seems more like mayonnaise compared to the red grease which seems to be more of a jam or jelly consistency. The red stuff seems to stay where it's put better and not ooze out of the joints like the moly type does.