Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Mini digger grease nipple

crane0 ยท 2015-06-24 03:13

I'm having trouble greasing the lower part in this picture... i recently got shims put in a few months ago I think the guy may have put the bolt in the wrong way so i can't grease it...have tried new nipples...it looks completely sealed and not by dirt or anything just the bolt.... Does anyone know how I can get this out and turn it so i can grease it...is there any special tricks because ive had a go but no luck...thanks!

Replies17
  1. #1plumberkc2015-12-12 17:12

    I'm also having issues with this same joint. There is another thread here from 08' with a lot of good tips but none have worked for me.

  2. #2shift2015-12-12 17:18

    I would use a porta power and adapt it to the thread size. Try pumping oil in, its possible the bushing spun or installed incorrectly.

  3. #3plumberkc2015-12-12 17:34

    It almost looks like it hasn't ever had any grease on the bushing. I know they can rotate but this pin has a bracket that prevents it from rotating. I tried penetrating oil, replacing the zerk, and a zerk buster tool. I've also hit the pin with a sledge to move it back and forth. Haven't applied head yet because I was concerned it could cause damage on this location. My next move is to remove the pin but I'm worried it will be difficult to put back in. I have a loader I can use to like the holes back up but wanted to see if anybody has any suggestions for me.

  4. #4simonsrplant2015-12-12 18:00

    Apply a bucket load of heat around the grease nipple, refit nipple whilst hot, then as previously mentioned, pump from porta power with oil. That should penetrate it.

  5. #5plumberkc2015-12-12 18:32

    So remove the Zerk, heat with torch, and reinstall while hot. Then pump penetrating oil in with something like this... https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1...37.lyrEgM2jIFM#spd=4097309266943378253&spud=0

  6. #6Delmer2015-12-12 19:35

    Yes, that's the idea. Before heating it, I'd take the zerk out, spray the gunk out with brake cleaner with a straw, then try the penetrating oil backed by the porta power. You can fill the hose or just a fitting that's screwed into the zerk hole with penetrating oil, leave the pump oil alone. If you can move the joint with pressure applied that might help. If you can't get it open after heat, and removing the pin, then you'll need to drill the bushing with a carbide masonry bit sharpened a little sharper.

  7. #7plumberkc2015-12-12 20:48

    I just checked the maintenance manual and this location wasn't listed as one of the lubrication points. It was making some noise but has stopped since putting oil on the outside of the pin. Is it possible that this joint isn't suppose to be greased?

  8. #8Delmer2015-12-12 22:10

    It has a grease fitting right? If it was making noise then the hole could be plugged up pretty hard.

  9. #9plumberkc2015-12-12 22:48

    It made noise there since I got the machine. I've just been reluctant to apply heat to the pin because it's on the bottom of the cylinder. On some other threads here I've read the main cylinder has been problematic on the bobcat mini's.

  10. #10caterpillar132015-12-12 22:57

    take the fitting out and run a drill bit in and drill a hole in the bushing,, my guess is the bushing was put in with the hole in the wrong place and was not fixed.

  11. #11herc9832015-12-12 23:09

    My TB145 has the same issue but with the upper swing arm bushing. I tried for 2 yrs to get it to take, in the meantime I use an oil can with gear lube and shoot at the top of it since it's a vertical pin. wonder what Tak does to the darn things

  12. #12pafarmer2015-12-13 08:00

    Most common cause is that It's was assembled incorrectly. Most times that is the issue. Sometimes it's spun in the race. Could be clogged solid as well. Pull the bolt and reinstall correctly , cleaning it all well prior to reinstalling....

  13. #13maddog2015-12-14 07:52

    porta power, heat, gung cleaning like others mentioned. I have had a few excavators over the years and a couple of them had the same issue in that spot. I wonder if that area just gets overlooked when greasing, not a lot of movement there so I wonder if some feel it doesn't need grease? IMO an excavator can not be over greased (except the turn table/sealed areas)

  14. #14plumberkc2015-12-14 08:11

    Thanks for all your responses. I have been looking at the Milwaukee M12 & M18 grease gun. Would that have the same impact as the porta power? http://m.northerntool.com/products/...RwP39XM0n2aOceRxT29Z89_sZwcinvBzkQaAhRG8P8HAQ

  15. #15maddog2015-12-14 10:24

    Plumberkc, to answer your question, no. Plus with the porta power you'll be using a light oil to get everything freed up.

  16. #16plumberkc2015-12-14 10:27

    Thanks for all the feedback guys.

  17. #17plumberkc2016-02-01 19:48

    I finally got the nipple to take grease. I purchased the porta power and still didn't have luck with it until after I filled it with penetrating oil. After about 10 min it broke through started to accept grease.