I have been browsing this forum for some time prior to purchasing equipment to be used on pool digging/installation contracts. I would be subcontractor for a pool company so that will be my main bread and butter. My tow rigs at the moment are 2 F350's, and I'd like to be able to haul with them rather than purchase a larger tow rig. What mini excavators and skids are a good fit for this? I've been looking at possibly CAT 302 or 305 and a skid steer to load trucks with material and backfill gravel. I have both a bobcat and a cat dealer within 45 mins of my location for service.
Welcome to the Forums SC508! Glad to have you. Couple of questions: Do you have a class A CDL? What type of 350's are your trucks - SRW or DRW? The reason I ask is combined truck, trailer and machine weight can be an issue. A 305 behind a dual rear wheel 350 is going to be over 26,000 GCVWR and that's the Fed's rules. I don't know MA rules but they can be stricter. We have an '18 305E and it's a great machine just the right size for what we need, not too big and not too small. I am glad we didn't go with a 303.5. Pull our 305 on a 15K trailer behind 11,500 SRW 350's which puts the combo into CL A CDL territory.
I’m a road test away from my class A. I completed the school and just need to renew my permit and set a date (and pass). I have no issue pulling in class A territory but would ideally like to be able to haul the equipment with what I have. I will check those machines out. CAT has 0% for 3 years so not sure if I will go new or used, but would like to get into a reasonable machine for the job at hand and maybe pick up smaller jobs here and there.
Good deal on the CDL makes it much easier and more profitable in the long run. I would look at the 305 new or used for pool excavation. It's a well balanced machine with plenty of power for its size. For a CTL I would probably look at a 259 or 279/289. We run 279's and it's the perfect size for what we need it for. The 279 and 289 are the same base machine just different arm configurations. Depends if you will be grading more or lift/carry'ing more. 259/279 for grading and 289 for lift and carry like pallets and such. Now I'm a Cat guy and going to recommend Cat. Others on here run other brands and have had great service as well.
Thank you for replying it's much appreciated. To answer your other question, both F350's are SRW. I have run a Kubota tractor, Bobcat and Cat skids, and Cat 938's.. I am drawn more to Cat myself but open to other suggestions.
You're welcome. Cat and more importantly my Cat dealer have treated us very well over the last 20 years. I am loyal to them and they take care of us. For example we had a final drive on our '16 279D that was returning bad oil analysis samples for a couple of months before the time portion of the powertrain warranty expired. Long story short dealer replaced the drive motor ($5K) under warranty. Also had the duo-cone seals replaced on our 321DL under warranty. The seals were on factory backorder from Japan so Cat paid for us a rental until our 321 was repaired. They didn't have to do that. Kubota is a great brand as well. Our local dealer is just a small "gentleman farmer" type dealership for tractors and side by sides, not a business focused dealer. Funny side note the "Cat" painted engine in our 279D's are Kubotas. Ran Bobcat for years, finally divorced the dealer and the brand several years ago and never looked back.