I have 50+ evergreen trees that I need to transplant on my property. They range in size from 4-6’ tall and so each one comes with a large root ball. I have tried digging them up, carefully, with a mini excavator but it’s hard to properly dig the root ball with the bucket in the typical configuration. I’ve wondered if the ability to mount the bucket “backwards” (teeth to the front) would help me cut out the root balls and scoop the trees out with minimal damage? Anyone have any experience with this? The machines I have access to don’t allow the bucket to be mounted this way. I have several rental options locally, I know a Yanmar comes stock with a pin grabber, does anyone know if Bobcat, Cat, or Wacker-Neuson mini excavators allow the bucket to be reverse mounted? (Obviously most of these could have a pin grabber coupler installed, but as a rental usually I find the least-optioned machines available). Thanks!
The manual QC on our 305E and hydro coupler on the 305 can both mount the buckets backwards. Comes in handy if you need to dig under an existing pipe. Never used a bucket backwards to transplant a tree but it might work better.
The only thing I’ll say is it takes a while to get your hands to work backwards
I've put the bucket on backwards several times for situations like you describe. It allows you to get under the tree without the arm/boom breaking branches by reaching over the tree. My understanding (which is possibly entirely wrong) is that Bobcats and Kubotas come with their own proprietary couplers which I don't like, but I think CAT minis come with pin grabbers now. I have no idea about W-N.