Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Mini Excavator pricing?

jacahull ยท 2025-10-28 07:15

Hello, I'd like some wisdom from the group here. I need a mini excavator for a few jobs plus we own a farm and it would come in handy. I'm looking for opinions/advise on " Good buy" pricing. I'm looking at a 2017 Takeuchi TB230, 1966hrs. Open cab. Looks to be in good shape. Less then 2k hrs seems pretty good? Was listed for 25k but guy said he would take 20k. Do you'll think that is a good price? Thank you!

Replies17
  1. #1Vetech632025-10-28 11:20

    So you have local dealer support?

  2. #2TomA2025-10-28 11:31

    I bought a new one ton from Amazon. Was about $7000 including delivery and some attachments. Good little machine.

  3. #3materthegreater2025-10-28 12:24

    What's the serial number?

  4. #4jacahull2025-10-28 13:16

    I will get that for you

  5. #5jacahull2025-10-28 13:20

    Yea about 45 min away

  6. #6jacahull2025-10-28 15:48
  7. #7MG842025-10-28 18:19

    If everything is tight, no leaks, good final drives, etc I'd say 20K is a good price.

  8. #8jacahull2025-10-28 18:49

    How do I check the final drives?

  9. #9jacahull2025-10-28 20:58
  10. #10materthegreater2025-10-28 21:13
  11. #11jacahull2025-10-29 07:04

    Thanks!

  12. #12PeterG2025-10-29 12:16

    The Takeuchi's are very good machines. I have three of their mini excavators. The one you are looking at seems like a very good price. However, it does not have the typical TAG quick coupler. To add the TAG quick coupler, and a wider 3' cleanout bucket will likely run $2,500 or so. But with that additional cost you will have a great machine. Stepping up to the TB240 (a machine I own) is likely a big improvement (Specs are close to many other brands 5 ton machine) for reach, loading, and digging power, and to which can still be hauled around on a 14GVW trailer. But might be hard to find one at that low price range. Check United Rentals, and always ask for service records.

  13. #13jacahull2025-10-29 14:38

    Seller states in ad that it has TAG thumb

  14. #14PeterG2025-10-29 14:58

    The thumb is a TAG looking at the image, but the bucket looks pin on to me. You definitely want a thumb. While the TAG quick coupler is nothing to brag about, it's way easier to change a bucket without pulling the pins. The Tag quick coupler should be something that does not need modification to install Post some more images of the machine. I've attached some images of my TB240 and buckets. There should be a pin to pull in the back.

  15. #15PeterG2025-10-29 15:01

    By the way, maybe post more info about the seller. We'll be able to tell if it's legit likely.

  16. #16PeterG2025-10-29 15:06

    The air filter cap is only installed by a three clips and is easy to not be installed correctly thereby getting dirt into the air filter housing. Likely not a problem, but engine should look pretty clean with hours written on the oil filter and hydraulic filter etc

  17. #17jacahull2025-10-29 21:46

    I really appreciate your guidance and wisdom Peter! Im not sure what info I can get on the guy. I don't want to be a creep. Its off a FB marketplace posting and the guy has great reviews as a seller. Im suppose to meet for probable purchase next week.